• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leased a property apparently leased to someone else

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

resipsa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Does anyone know of any authority or law that holds that when a landlord signs a lease, and lease a property to you, the landlord is representing that he has not leased it to another individual?

I know it's pretty common sense, but I just can't find any law.

As alwyas, any reply or discussion is welcome and appreciated.

NegPerSe

It was a lease for a certain piece of land. The landlord entered into a lease with person A. Person A disputes that his lease with landlord is valid. Nonetheless, landlord enters into a lease with person B. Person B was unaware of the lease with person A, when person B entered into the lease with landlord.

I was looking for authority that could help person B against landlord. I understnad that if person A succeeds in proving his lease with landlord is valid, then he is entitled to the land. But there has to be some sort of misrepresentation done by landlord to person B, when landlord signed the lease with person B, knowing that he had a lease with person A already.

BL

It was a lease for a certain piece of land. The landlord entered into a lease with person A. Person A disputes that his lease with landlord is valid. Nonetheless, landlord enters into a lease with person B. Person B was unaware of the lease with person A, when person B entered into the lease with landlord.

I was looking for authority that could help person B against landlord. I understnad that if person A succeeds in proving his lease with landlord is valid, then he is entitled to the land. But there has to be some sort of misrepresentation done by landlord to person B, when landlord signed the lease with person B, knowing that he had a lease with person A already.

Are you confused ?

If Person A disputes that his lease with landlord is valid,what the problem ?

resipsa

Are you confused ?

If Person A disputes that his lease with landlord is valid,what the problem ?
I'm sorry. That did not type right. I meant that Person A claims his lease is valid. Landlord states that it is not. Person B wants to go after landlord because Person A will likely prevail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">