• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leasee dies but tenant is still required to keep 6 month lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjanke

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin.
My Dad signed a six month rental lease for my brother in September, 2004 and was paying the rent for my brother in exchange for work that my brother preformed. My Dad died 10-22-04, and the landlord said my brother is now responsible for the rent. My brother does not have a job, he has a low IQ and is unable to get a decent job. My brother only signed on the line stating he was the tenant. My Dad signed on the line that guaranteed he would pay the rent for the six month term. Is the lease null and void since my Dad passed away? The landlord also said they would use the security deposit for the November rent, but my brother still had to move out and he had to fins someone to sublet the apartment to or he would be responsible for the rent until the lease was up.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

BL

Unfortunately, if the the rent was promised and not paid, the landlord has a right to what he/she is entitled to under the law , no matter who promised to pay . A security deposit can be used towards unpaid rent. If the occupant does no vacate, the landlord must go through an eviction process.

I suggest if this person is unable to find or maintain ( due to health reasons developmental disability for one ) ,gainful employment, he get it documented by a DR., and apply for SSI .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">