• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leasing office not allowing me to add a new person on the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babludutt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey.

I signed a lease in January with myself and (my wife as a resident). She got a job and she moved to Atlanta. I wanted to remove my wife from the lease and add a friend of my mine in the lease. To my surprise the leasing office is not allowing me to do that. They are asking me to sign a new lease in another apartment unit for a new full 1 year term and pay 750 $ as move out charges from my current apartment which I did not want to do. As an alternative I thought of moving out of my current apartment, but they are asking for 2 months of notice or 2 months' of rent although I found someone who is ready to move into my apartment. Adding and removing people on to the lease is pretty common, I dont see any clauses in lease against this in the leasing agreement. Please advice how I can either add my friend on the lease or to get out of the lease without much charges? Right now paying rents for 2 apartments (mine and my wifes's) is becoming a financial burden.

Also the leasing office threatened me that they will evict me incase they see any person in my apartment unit not listed on the lease. How many days can I have someone as a guest in my apartment?
Can the landlord evict me without any warnings?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Does your lease say how many days a guest may stay in a month ? something like ` Tenant may have overnight guest for no more than 4 nights in a month/ every two weeks, ? If there is no other penalty and you only had to give a 60 day notice to leave then maybe that's the best way to go, As far as evicting your landlord has to give you proper notice first before entering the unit if they want to snoop to see who might be living there and they cant just toss you out they have to follow your states laws re notices and be able to prove it to a court. If you had a qualified replacement tenant the LL cant just double dip , meaning you pay them and new tenant paying them rents for same unit.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

" How many days can I have someone as a guest in my apartment?"

Haven't a clue. You're the one with the lease. Read it and see what it says in terms of guests. If your lease only specifies you and your wife can live there, you're out of luck unless you choose one of the two options provided to you.

Gail

babludutt

There aren't any clauses on my lease with regards to guests. Are there any NJ rules regarding the same?
The penalty I will also have apart from giving 60 days' notice is that, they are going to inspect the apartment AFTER I had over the key, if they think that any maintenance is to be done, they will and then they market my apartment. UNTILL then I have to keep on paying for the rent. Unfortunately my leasing office has the reputation of finding faults in apartment and taking a lot of money out of the 1.5 month's of security deposit tenants are supposed to give them.

I have people ready to move into the unit the next day I move out, but the leasing office is asking me to give 2 month's of rent as penalty if I have to move out or give 60 days' notice.

Does your lease say how many days a guest may stay in a month ? something like ` Tenant may have overnight guest for no more than 4 nights in a month/ every two weeks, ? If there is no other penalty and you only had to give a 60 day notice to leave then maybe that's the best way to go, As far as evicting your landlord has to give you proper notice first before entering the unit if they want to snoop to see who might be living there and they cant just toss you out they have to follow your states laws re notices and be able to prove it to a court. If you had a qualified replacement tenant the LL cant just double dip , meaning you pay them and new tenant paying them rents for same unit.

babludutt

There aren't any clauses on my lease with regards to guests. Are there any NJ rules regarding the same?

I know people who keep changing their roommates legally too by adding them on to the lease. I dont have any clauses on the lease which says I will not ever add anyone on the lease.

" How many days can I have someone as a guest in my apartment?"

Haven't a clue. You're the one with the lease. Read it and see what it says in terms of guests. If your lease only specifies you and your wife can live there, you're out of luck unless you choose one of the two options provided to you.

Gail

justalayman

The landlord nor the tenant is required to alter the lease unless the lease requires it or in very few situstion outside of the lease none that I see would apply to you n

Is there anything in your lease regarding subleasing?

babludutt

As per my leasing office "I cannot sublease the apartment", however I can find a new tenant who is ready to sign up a new lease and move in. Untill then I'm responsible for the rent.
More over they need 2 months' notice and 1 month rent penalty for breaking the lease.

The landlord nor the tenant is required to alter the lease unless the lease requires it or in very few situstion outside of the lease none that I see would apply to you n

Is there anything in your lease regarding subleasing?

Silverplum

As per my leasing office "I cannot sublease the apartment", however I can find a new tenant who is ready to sign up a new lease and move in. Untill then I'm responsible for the rent.
More over they need 2 months' notice and 1 month rent penalty for breaking the lease.
Then it appears you have your answer as to how your lease and tenancy works. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">