• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving w/o giving thirty days notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missxthe3rd

What is the name of your state? Washington
Hello,
I gave my landlord notice on the 18th of March. I stated I would be leaving on MArch 31st and that I realized if a new tenant wasn't found for April I would be responsible for rent. She found a new tenant immediately said the move in date would be around the 8th because of new features being installed in the apartment. She stopped showing the apartment within a few hours of showing it. I was told a new tenant was found for April and interested prospective tenants were turned away. She is demanding I pay upfront the entire rent for April saying I will be refunded when the new tenant moves in, although she has not told me if a date for that has been determined. She refuses to budge- demanding I am responsible for the entire rent from April.
A week ago we got into an argument in which she just threatened to leave the unit unrented and leave me with the whole bill. That makes me not trust her. I don't know if a lease has been signed but I worry about the "new" tenant backing out of the deal because the landlord is she runs an unlicenced/illicit business out of her apartment which the prospective tenant could easily find out about by ads she placed on the internet. Again, I would be stuck with the rent.
Legal advise would be appriciated!What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Cvillecpm

Until you are notified in writing that a new tenant has been secured - you owe the rent. Depending on your lease and state L-T laws, you may owe the entire April rent anyway since you may have been required to give your notice before the 1st to end at the end of the month.

You can always sue your landlord in Small Claims for any rent you feel you may be owed.

missxthe3rd

Cvillecpmls

I appriciate you taking time to reply. I have an email from her to me stating that there is a new tenant for April. I also have an email she sent to an interested tenant saying the unit was already rented. The thing is she won't give me a date the person is moving in but instead wants all the rent for April which she says she will pro-rate back. Because of a previous comment threatening simply not to rent the unit and allow me to be liable for the whole month I am NOT having much faith in her.

missxthe3rd

also**************.....

Although I hate to do it.... since I have a pretty good sized security deposit with her if I leave w/o paying for April as she demands can't she pro-rate it out of there? It might not be optimal but at least this way she can't take my money for April along with withholding more of the sercurity deposit than I think is fair, which I suspect she'll do. If she told me when the new tenant was due to move in I would pay until then, but since she won't I fell vulnerable to her cattiness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">