• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Age in Alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iyora7

I live in Tennessee, but i wish to move to Alabama. I'm 18, but will be 19 in July. I want to know what the legal age to rent an apartment is.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

iyora7 said:
I live in Tennessee, but i wish to move to Alabama. I'm 18, but will be 19 in July. I want to know what the legal age to rent an apartment is.

My response:

Once you turned 18, you became a "legal" adult, with all rights, duties and responsibilties of any other adult of any age.

You have the right, therefore, to enter into a lawful, binding, contract.

IAAL

I

iyora7

I hve heard rumors that, specifically in Alabama, that you have to be 19 years of age to sign a contract unless married. If married, you may be 18.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

iyora7 said:
I hve heard rumors that, specifically in Alabama, that you have to be 19 years of age to sign a contract unless married. If married, you may be 18.

My response:

Well, that was my mistake, and you are correct. Alabama is one of the very few States that requires a single person to be older than 18 in order to be an adult. Here's a copy of a FAQ from an Alabama government site - -

"What is the age of adulthood or majority in Alabama? Or in other words, how old does a person have to be to get credit or sign a contract without a co-signer?"

"19 years of age for unmarried persons. (Code of Alabama §26-1-1) or 18 years of age for married persons and widows or widowers (Code of Alabama §30-4-15 & 16)."

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My comment:

Now, doesn't that seem strange to you? That is, you can sign a marital contract at age 18, but you can't sign a lease contract until you're 19.

Backwards southern States. They never make sense unless someone's playing a Banjo on a bayou in some backwater hick town, that has a river flowing through, and a family of inbred hillbillies living nearby.

IAAL

I

iyora7

Makes no sense. You have to be 19 to buy cigarettes... but you can be 18 and smoke 'em. Maybe I should just marry someone and get the apartment... then I just wait out the 6 months and divorce... or just get it annulled. Oh, the things you must do to get out.

HomeGuru

At what age is it legal to have sex? I bet it is legal to screw around years before being of age to sign a lease.

I

iyora7

I know you can get married as young as 14 with parental consent. But I never knew there was a legal age for sex...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 WAYS TO KNOW YOU'RE A TRAILER TRASH ALABAMIAN:

NUMBER 10: You let your 12-year-old daughter smoke at the dinner table in front of her kids.

NUMBER 9: You think loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk.

NUMBER 8: Anyone in your family ever died right after saying, "Hey, guys, watch this."

NUMBER 7: Your wife's hairdo was once ruined by a ceiling fan.

NUMBER 6: Your junior prom offers day-care.

NUMBER 5: You think the last words of the "Star-Spangled Banner" are "Gentlemen, start your engines."

NUMBER 4: You light a match in the bathroom and your house exploded right off its wheels.

NUMBER 3: The Halloween pumpkin on your porch has more teeth than your spouse.

NUMBER 2: You have to go outside to get something from the fridge.

AND NOW, the NUMBER ONE WAY TO KNOW YOU'RE A TRAILER TRASH ALABAMIAN:

You can't get married to your sweetheart because there's a law against it.

IAAL

nextwife

One of your better top tens, IAAL.

Especially like the fridge and junior prom ones.

I thought it went like this:

You can't get married to your sweetheart because there's a law against marrying your step-sister.

nextwife

"No, I left it that way so that I could leave it up to the reader's imagination - - e.g., mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, etc."

I didn't realize that was illegal in Alabama........!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">