• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal, can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GElite

From Mobile, Al
Everyone got this letter in the mail today. Usually notices are left on the door but this was mailed to everyone.
So much for being unmollested in your home. Basically wHat it says is that they are going to have the local police come into our neighborhood and take k-9 police through our yards. There is no crime to speak of in our neighborhood. I'm questioning the legality of such an action. Thanks.

quincy

From Mobile, Al
Everyone got this letter in the mail today. Usually notices are left on the door but this was mailed to everyone.
So much for being unmollested in your home. Basically wHat it says is that they are going to have the local police come into our neighborhood and take k-9 police through our yards. There is no crime to speak of in our neighborhood. I'm questioning the legality of such an action. Thanks.
You posted this in the Landlord/Tenant section of the forum - so I will assume you are a tenant. If so then, yes, the landlord or property owner can consent to a K-9 police search of the yards. The yards are the property of the landlord/owner and not the tenants.

GElite

You posted this in the Landlord/Tenant section of the forum - so I will assume you are a tenant. If so then, yes, the landlord or property owner can consent to a K-9 police search of the yards. The yards are the property of the landlord/owner and not the tenants.
I rent a lot for a mobile home, I own the home not the lot.

DeenaCA

Here's a Washington Post article from earlier this month: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/04/13/use-of-a-drug-sniffing-dog-at-an-apartment-door-is-a-search-7th-circuit-holds/

The federal courts are split on whether using the dogs to detect drugs in the common areas of an apartment complex constitutes a search. But it's pretty clear that the police can't bring the dog up on your front porch for a sniff test unless they obtain a search warrant.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
That is, to the extent Kyllo extends to drug-sniffing dogs, the fact that the dog was in the hallway is irrelevant. What matters is that the dog was used to learn facts from inside the apartment that were previously unknowable without physical entry.

Last edited:

GElite

Here's a Washington Post article from earlier this month: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/04/13/use-of-a-drug-sniffing-dog-at-an-apartment-door-is-a-search-7th-circuit-holds/

The federal courts are split on whether using the dogs to detect drugs in the common areas of an apartment complex constitutes a search. But it's pretty clear that the police can't bring the dog up on your front porch for a sniff test unless they obtain a search warrant.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
Thank you very much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">