• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it legal that my new landlord accepts cash only? no checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superkathy

I live in San Diego, California, and am renting a room from a lady's house, and it is month-to-month. She made me sign a very long roommate agreement, and rent is due on the 1st of the month, she did not specify what method I should use to pay her. Then tonight she told me that (I was talking on the phone with her because I am moving in tomorrow) I have to pay CASH ONLY to her whenever paying my rent. She also said that her bank charges $6 for depositing personal checks (I know she is lying becuz no bank in CA does that!!!) Is this legal? She sounded very demanding on the phone. I almost don't want to live there anymore. But if I don't, she's gonna take my deposit.

cyjeff

It sounds like she is trying to avoid paying taxes on the rental income.

Not your problem.

However, make it VERY clear that you will be expecting a written receipt for each transaction including her name, the address of the room and the reason for the receipt - "rent". You will also expect this request to be made in writing.

She will push back if she is trying to avoid a paper trail. That will be your out.

TigerD

Or she doesn't have a checking account, or she has a judgment and expects to lose any money in her checking account ...

Cash is king. Well, in this economy it's more like the second cousin of the guy who slept with princess' best friend, but you get the point.

DC

FarmerJ

Before you move a single box or bag in go buy a receipt book and have it all filled out and when you go to pay her open it and have her sign it , if she will not do it walk away , I think it would be highly entertaining to be in a court room watching her attempt to sue for a broken lease if you refused to move in when she explains why she refused to sign a receipt. PS if he does sign it you better store your reciepts off premise so they wont vanish. BTW good hint, get your self a bank box , I sort of think you will need it.

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

FarmerJ has a good idea; however, I would take a witness who will testify in court that she refused to sign the receipt book AND I would provide the CASH, pay your rent and have YOUR witness sign the receipt book that they saw you deliver the rent to her.....eliminate the whole "go to court" thing!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">