• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal reasons for breaking a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mesmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I signed a 1 year lease 6 months ago so I still have 6 months to go.

I have several reasons for wanting to terminate early, not sure if any of them are legal or not though:

Landlord told me the first week he would have someone come fix the plumbing in the bathtub that leaked and he still hasn't. A tree fell on the house during Super Storm Sandy and while he came and cut the tree down, he has not repaired the damage to the roof. It's superficial and not affecting the inside of the house but it looks horrible and the wood under the eaves of the roof appears to be rotten. He also asked if the previous owners could leave some things in the garage until December. It is now the middle of March and the stuff is still there. So I am only able to use half of a two car garage. There is also a washing machine that was left in the laundry room that he said he would pick up and still hasn't. The neighbors are also crazy. Literally, they can't live alone and have 24hr caretakers. I found out a few weeks ago that one of the people that lived there was moved from them home after he said he was going to come next door and hurt the neighbor (ME)!! There are 2 other adult men that live there though that need the same constant care. There is also a convicted sex offender living about 2 blocks away and I have a daughter in kindergarten. I know I should have looked it up beforehand so while that is not his fault it is just another reason I would like to move. He could have told me about the neighbors I share a driveway with though. I never would have signed the lease had I known.

And to top it off last week I found a shrew in the kitchen cabinet. I've NEVER been late once on my rent. I am also a homeowner in a different state so I am struggling with breaking the lease but I just don't know how I can continue living with my 6 year old in this house for another 6 months!!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I signed a 1 year lease 6 months ago so I still have 6 months to go.

I have several reasons for wanting to terminate early, not sure if any of them are legal or not though:

Landlord told me the first week he would have someone come fix the plumbing in the bathtub that leaked and he still hasn't. A tree fell on the house during Super Storm Sandy and while he came and cut the tree down, he has not repaired the damage to the roof. It's superficial and not affecting the inside of the house but it looks horrible and the wood under the eaves of the roof appears to be rotten. He also asked if the previous owners could leave some things in the garage until December. It is now the middle of March and the stuff is still there. So I am only able to use half of a two car garage. There is also a washing machine that was left in the laundry room that he said he would pick up and still hasn't. The neighbors are also crazy. Literally, they can't live alone and have 24hr caretakers. I found out a few weeks ago that one of the people that lived there was moved from them home after he said he was going to come next door and hurt the neighbor (ME)!! There are 2 other adult men that live there though that need the same constant care. There is also a convicted sex offender living about 2 blocks away and I have a daughter in kindergarten. I know I should have looked it up beforehand so while that is not his fault it is just another reason I would like to move. He could have told me about the neighbors I share a driveway with though. I never would have signed the lease had I known.

And to top it off last week I found a shrew in the kitchen cabinet. I've NEVER been late once on my rent. I am also a homeowner in a different state so I am struggling with breaking the lease but I just don't know how I can continue living with my 6 year old in this house for another 6 months!!
Wait six months and then move pay to exit the lease, but you don't have a "legal reasons for breaking the lease"

HomeGuru

Legal reasons: house condemned, building code and health violations state house uninhabitable, fire burns house down, active military tenant gets orders to move out of state....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">