+ Reply to Thread
    mesmom is offline Junior Member

Legal reasons for breaking a lease

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I signed a 1 year lease 6 months ago so I still have 6 months to go.

I have several reasons for wanting to terminate early, not sure if any of them are legal or not though:

Landlord told me the first week he would have someone come fix the plumbing in the bathtub that leaked and he still hasn't. A tree fell on the house during Super Storm Sandy and while he came and cut the tree down, he has not repaired the damage to the roof. It's superficial and not affecting the inside of the house but it looks horrible and the wood under the eaves of the roof appears to be rotten. He also asked if the previous owners could leave some things in the garage until December. It is now the middle of March and the stuff is still there. So I am only able to use half of a two car garage. There is also a washing machine that was left in the laundry room that he said he would pick up and still hasn't. The neighbors are also crazy. Literally, they can't live alone and have 24hr caretakers. I found out a few weeks ago that one of the people that lived there was moved from them home after he said he was going to come next door and hurt the neighbor (ME)!! There are 2 other adult men that live there though that need the same constant care. There is also a convicted sex offender living about 2 blocks away and I have a daughter in kindergarten. I know I should have looked it up beforehand so while that is not his fault it is just another reason I would like to move. He could have told me about the neighbors I share a driveway with though. I never would have signed the lease had I known.

And to top it off last week I found a shrew in the kitchen cabinet. I've NEVER been late once on my rent. I am also a homeowner in a different state so I am struggling with breaking the lease but I just don't know how I can continue living with my 6 year old in this house for another 6 months!!
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by mesmom View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I signed a 1 year lease 6 months ago so I still have 6 months to go.

I have several reasons for wanting to terminate early, not sure if any of them are legal or not though:

Landlord told me the first week he would have someone come fix the plumbing in the bathtub that leaked and he still hasn't. A tree fell on the house during Super Storm Sandy and while he came and cut the tree down, he has not repaired the damage to the roof. It's superficial and not affecting the inside of the house but it looks horrible and the wood under the eaves of the roof appears to be rotten. He also asked if the previous owners could leave some things in the garage until December. It is now the middle of March and the stuff is still there. So I am only able to use half of a two car garage. There is also a washing machine that was left in the laundry room that he said he would pick up and still hasn't. The neighbors are also crazy. Literally, they can't live alone and have 24hr caretakers. I found out a few weeks ago that one of the people that lived there was moved from them home after he said he was going to come next door and hurt the neighbor (ME)!! There are 2 other adult men that live there though that need the same constant care. There is also a convicted sex offender living about 2 blocks away and I have a daughter in kindergarten. I know I should have looked it up beforehand so while that is not his fault it is just another reason I would like to move. He could have told me about the neighbors I share a driveway with though. I never would have signed the lease had I known.

And to top it off last week I found a shrew in the kitchen cabinet. I've NEVER been late once on my rent. I am also a homeowner in a different state so I am struggling with breaking the lease but I just don't know how I can continue living with my 6 year old in this house for another 6 months!!
    Wait six months and then move pay to exit the lease, but you don't have a "legal reasons for breaking the lease"
    mesmom is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigone* View Post
    Wait six months and then move pay to exit the lease, but you don't have a "legal reasons for breaking the lease"
    Thanks

What would be a valid reason?
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the last poster.
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Thread Hx is a cackle .
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Legal reasons: house condemned, building code and health violations state house uninhabitable, fire burns house down, active military tenant gets orders to move out of state....