• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal for rental agency to ask for paycheck stub

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlindema

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Hello-
I live in San Jose, California
-and I'm planning to move to a new rental property.
The rental agency is asking me to submit a paycheck stub- before being considered as a tenant.
I was reluctant to give my Social Security number, but I agree that it's reasonable for them to run a credit check. They need my SSN for that.
My credit check was run, and as expected, it was in very good standing.
Here's the crux of my question: presumably knowledge of my bi-monthly income is somehow an 'assurance' of my ability to pay the monthly rent.
However -my viewpoint is that I have very good credit (they have verified), and the landlord already has a legal means to get their money -it's called court & eviction. What exactly are they looking for by asking for my paycheck stub? Friends tell me that *every* landlord asks to see a current paycheck stub.. however, just 'cause everyone does it, and 'everyone' just gives-in and provides it...doesn't mean it's legal for the landlord to require it.
I'm a reasonably private person, I have nothing to hide, and I'm also a reasonable person- I don't want/mean to be difficult... but I just don't feel this information is necessary, and I question it's legality. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
John

I remember being asked this same question, and I complied because it made sense to me. And, I have good credit as well.
Also, they usually ask for your stub when you buy a car(Unless you are the lucky few with a very high score :eek: ) - and the same reasoning applies.
I'm sorry I can't answer the legal side of the question, but personally I don't see why it's unreasonable.

HomeGuru

jlindema said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Hello-
I live in San Jose, California
-and I'm planning to move to a new rental property.
The rental agency is asking me to submit a paycheck stub- before being considered as a tenant.
I was reluctant to give my Social Security number, but I agree that it's reasonable for them to run a credit check. They need my SSN for that.
My credit check was run, and as expected, it was in very good standing.
Here's the crux of my question: presumably knowledge of my bi-monthly income is somehow an 'assurance' of my ability to pay the monthly rent.
However -my viewpoint is that I have very good credit (they have verified), and the landlord already has a legal means to get their money -it's called court & eviction. What exactly are they looking for by asking for my paycheck stub? Friends tell me that *every* landlord asks to see a current paycheck stub.. however, just 'cause everyone does it, and 'everyone' just gives-in and provides it...doesn't mean it's legal for the landlord to require it.
I'm a reasonably private person, I have nothing to hide, and I'm also a reasonable person- I don't want/mean to be difficult... but I just don't feel this information is necessary, and I question it's legality. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
John
**A: the agency can legally ask for a completed application, personal references, employer and past landlord references, copies of pay stubs and bank account statements, tax returns etc. Also, the agency can legally run a credit report, lien check and a background check, with your approval. And you can legally refuse to provide any of the requested documents and not approve running credit and background checks. And the agency can legally refuse to consider you a qualified applicant tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">