• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal right to move?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikens

Phoenix AZ .So i rent a house,as of late.I have ben trying to get out of my agreement especially because the owner said he would fix the water leak in my laundry room which was there before me moving in .He told me he'd send someone out,he never did then 2 weeks later he said he would 3 weeks ago he never showed or even talked to me i have the conversations in .(txt msgs)Then today i called mcassessor maricopa apparently he put this as his place of living (primary)as this house so he called assessor's office,he put he was not renting this house to anyone and is using this as a primary adress and saying he still lives here which is not true (I also have printed documents saying that)would that make our agreement no good? meaning im able to get out of it.As far as the state is concerned I apparently I don't live here nor is the any records in the state of AZ of me living her other then a rental agreement.Could this stand up in court due to him never reporting this house as a rental house to the state of AZ.according to the state I don't live here he does

Last edited:

FarmerJ

so you called the property tax desk and learned the owner is claiming the address you rent as his mailing address ? well its like this if the owner is getting a lower rate because of a so called homestead type of reduction its not your concern , if you changed your drivers license address to this address great , your lease with this landlord is to be his bible, he cant excuse self from making repairs so send to him a certified letter keeping a copy of it your self about the repair , if he doesnt have it fixed in a reasonable time then call your city inspections desk and see if they will send someone out that can order him to fix it. take pics of it now for your records.

mikens

so you called the property tax desk and learned the owner is claiming the address you rent as his mailing address ? well its like this if the owner is getting a lower rate because of a so called homestead type of reduction its not your concern , if you changed your drivers license address to this address great , your lease with this landlord is to be his bible, he cant excuse self from making repairs so send to him a certified letter keeping a copy of it your self about the repair , if he doesn't have it fixed in a reasonable time then call your city inspections desk and see if they will send someone out that can order him to fix it. take pics of it now for your records.
Actually he is saying he still lives here by law he is suppose to notify the county that someone is renting the house.It is actually illegal to rent a house and not tell the court due to him lying and collecting tax's from this house.If it shows that he is in fact living he is using this as a primary address and reports that is not a rental house.Meaning technically i don't live here according to the county.Shouldn't that mean i'd be to get out of here because the county says i don't live here only he does,and under their website this house is not for rent

Gail in Georgia

I've often wondered why some folks bother posting here asking for information if they seem to think they've got all the answers anyway.

OP, sounds like you've already made up your mind to move so....move...and see what happens legally.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually he is saying he still lives here by law he is suppose to notify the county that someone is renting the house.It is actually illegal to rent a house and not tell the court due to him lying and collecting tax's from this house.If it shows that he is in fact living he is using this as a primary address and reports that is not a rental house.Meaning technically i don't live here according to the county.Shouldn't that mean i'd be to get out of here because the county says i don't live here only he does,and under their website this house is not for rent
No, it does not mean that.

FarmerJ

if you rent the whole house then havent you been returning to the postal carrier any and all mail in the LLs name ` no longer lives here ` on it ? As far as the county goes seriously they dont give a crap if you live there or not , and if you call in inspections as the tenant if inspections notifys the property tax desk that the property is now a rental its still not your concern , if he is cheating on his Property taxes they will find out but they cannot make you move out they will instead make him pay the correct taxes due but they wont make you leave unless they have reason to condemn it. SO if they order a repair and he refuses to fix it and in the end they condemn it then your free to move with no penalty to you , your free to sue for a prorated refund of rents paid and i see no reason to wait for LL to refund deposit and to add that into a small claims court case too.( if you do not take steps to get inspections in there do you understand later on if the LL took you to court saying you owe X.00 because you broke your lease how silly in court you would look if you said `the LL wouldnt fix any thing` and when asked for proof of complaints you had nothing not even inspections reports that ordered repairs and LL still refused. The name of the game is paper trails which seems to be a lost consumer art. (Courts respect paper trails in civil issues because they can see that a complaint is valid , no diff than say a LL who is going to terminate due to noise , police reports of the disturbances are then the LLs friend )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">