• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lessee responsible for home repairs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ENTDoc

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me whether a clause in a 1 year lease I am considering signing is usual. I am planning to rent a house in FL. The lease includes a paragraph stating that "LESSEE agrees that LESSEE is responsible, at LESSEE's expense, for maintenance and repair of:"... the list includes "washer/dryer" and "plumbing." I am worried about agreeing to be responsible for any and all plumbing repairs or equipment repairs that the house needs. This seems unreasonable. I called the owner's agent and was told verbally that such repairs would only be my responsibility if they were necessary due to my negligence. However, the wording of the document makes no such specification. When I asked to add that qualification, the agent said that no one else has had a problem with it and I should just sign it. I am hesitant to do so.

Any thoughts? Is this reasonable and customary for home leases?

Thanks for your time.

xylene

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me whether a clause in a 1 year lease I am considering signing is usual. I am planning to rent a house in FL. The lease includes a paragraph stating that "LESSEE agrees that LESSEE is responsible, at LESSEE's expense, for maintenance and repair of:"... the list includes "washer/dryer" and "plumbing." I am worried about agreeing to be responsible for any and all plumbing repairs or equipment repairs that the house needs. This seems unreasonable. I called the owner's agent and was told verbally that such repairs would only be my responsibility if they were necessary due to my negligence. However, the wording of the document makes no such specification. When I asked to add that qualification, the agent said that no one else has had a problem with it and I should just sign it. I am hesitant to do so.

Any thoughts? Is this reasonable and customary for home leases?

Thanks for your time.
Inform the agent you will not sign without the clarifying language added.

Then sign if you get your way, walk if you don't.

ENTDoc

Thanks for the reply.

If I refuse to sign, do they get to keep my deposit, or just the application fee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">