• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lessee wants roommate out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jettison

I have a lease signed in my name only. My roommate pays rent to me, as well as the landlord depending on her mood. She has lost her job and become reclusive. I mean really reclusive. She stays in her room, coming out only when I'm gone or asleep. We had no arguments that set this off. Her family is concerned. She is unresponsive to them too. I believe she must go. I need confirmation of our Lessee/roommate relationship and the specific legal forms that would apply, ie. Notice of Eviction(Lessee/Room), 3-day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit. All I have found to date involves Landlords and tenants. Would appreciate any help.

T

trishya

Trying/ how to evict in CA

Hi,
I am somewhat in the same predicament as you, depending on whether you're considered a master tenant as the only one on the lease,( did your landlord give your roomate a subtenant form? 6.14 notice?) and it may depend on how long you've been at this address... maybe you've read some of my questions on how a master tenant can evict a drug addict.
A master tenant acts like a landlord as far as the courts are concerned and has the power to evict a sub-tenant with appropriate reasons known as just cause. You do not list any of the most basic reasons such as non payment of rent, or nuisance.
But here is a helpful site for all CA regarding landlord -tenant laws for specific areas :

http://www.rentlaw.com/californialandlordtenant.htm

Basically eviction is not easy and can be very expensive and time consuming. To date my husband and I are looking at about 2500.$ and possibly another month of the drug addict stealing whatevers not locked up (we are living out of 2 rooms crammed with 12 years of stuff!), hostility and huge stress while we do all the right things through the CA legal system. You may want to seek out mediation, if possible, before going this route. We thought mediation would work but since we're dealing with an unhealthy person , it hasn't.
Try and communicate with her before it gets worse and GOOD LUCK!

J

jettison

Thanks for your responce. I'll check out the site you recommended to find the definition of 'nuisance'. Should she fail to pay rent this coming week it will provide a clearer path to pursue the Notice to Pay. It's all a shame. Sorry to hear of your more difficult situation. I hope you the best and most expediant solution. Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">