• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lightning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

homeowner52

I own a home in Georgia that I lease out to tenants. There were 3 sattelite dishes attached (and improperly grounded, apparently) to the roof. Lightning hit the dish (which was not connected to anything or in use) and ended up destroying 2 computers, 3 tv's, and various other appliances of theirs. An electrician has confirmed that the dish was the point of entry. They did not have renter's insurance. Am I liable for their stuff or is this still considered an "act of God"? Thank you!

FarmerJ

Doe you know who installed the dishes ? If this was done by other persons Contact a local atty and discuss this with him/her .

H

homeowner52

The previous homeowners had the dishes installed. I don't know if they did it themselves or if they had them professionaly installed. When we bought the house the inspection did not mention anything about improperly grounded sattelite dishes. Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're the one who is 100% liable for the damages.

Grounding of appliances and wiring can be tested. Simply, you failed in your duty to test; i.e., as the homeowner, you are negligent. Renting your house should not cause damages to persons or property. You have a duty to maintain your home in a reasonably operational condition.

Lightning, itself, is an act of God. Improper "grounding" is not - - which is the whole purpose of "grounding" in the first place!

IAAL

JETX

Interesting question!!

Two sides:
1) You are responsible since the dishes were provided with the property and are a 'part' of the property.
2) The tenants are responsible since they contracted with the satellite service and without that, the dishes wouldn't have been connected to anything in the house.

Personally, I feel you have the responsibility for repairing any physical damage to the property itself (wiring, roof, power box, etc.) while the residents have responsibility for THEIR contents through their OPTION of renters insurance.

UPDATE: I made my post at the same time as IAAL, and with all respect to IAAL, feel that my post still has some validity. Reason: The tenants are the ones who contracted with the satellite service (correct??) and as such, they (or their installer) had a responsibility to check the equipment on installation. Even that equipment that was provided with the rental.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
Interesting question!!

Two sides:
1) You are responsible since the dishes were provided with the property and are a 'part' of the property.
2) The tenants are responsible since they contracted with the satellite service and without that, the dishes wouldn't have been connected to anything in the house.

Personally, I feel you have the responsibility for repairing any physical damage to the property itself (wiring, roof, power box, etc.) while the residents have responsibility for THEIR contents through their OPTION of renters insurance.

My response:

JetX, I agree only with your Number 1 statement. As for Number 2, contracting for satellite service doesn't mean that the renters are responsible for the wiring. It's "reasonable" for them to use the "dishes" and to use the service. Installation of the dishes is the responsibility of the homeowner since the "dishes" are connected to (bolted) the home. The whole system, the physical parts, belong to the homeowner and, as such, are his to keep and maintain if he allows their usage. If he allows usage, and in the absence of any contractual waivers due to their usage, then the homeowner is responsible for any damages to electronics otherwise properly connected to the homeowner's equipment.

Our writer, the homeowner, had a duty to inspect and repair his equipment if he was going to allow it to be used.

Here, our writer, the landlord, had a duty to use reasonable care to inspect and repair before transferring possession. [King v. New Masonic Temple Ass'n (1942) 51 Cal.App.2d 512, 515, 125 P.2d 559, 560; Hayes v. Richfield Oil Corp. (1952) 38 Cal.2d 375, 380, 240 P.2d 580, 583]

Duty to inspect:
It follows from the "should know in the exercise of reasonable care" part of the duty analysis (above) that landlords must conduct reasonable periodic inspections of the premises. Failure to do so "may warrant an inference that the defective condition existed long enough so that a person exercising reasonable care would have discovered it." [Ortega v. Kmart Corp. (2001) 26 Cal.4th 1200, 1210, 114 Cal.Rptr.2d 470, 478 - -plaintiff may prove dangerous condition existed for unreasonable time with circumstantial evidence; Bridgman v. Safeway Stores, Inc., supra, 53 Cal.2d at 447, 2 Cal.Rptr. at 148]

Broader duty upon lease renewal:
On the other hand, landlords have the same affirmative obligation to inspect for and repair dangerous conditions upon renewal of a tenancy as they do upon inception of a tenancy (prior to the transfer of possession). The law imposes on the landlord a duty to use ordinary care to eliminate those dangerous conditions that would have been revealed by a reasonable safety inspection at the time possession is transferred or the tenancy renewed, with resulting liability for injuries caused by a failure to do so. [Portillo v. Aiassa (1994) 27 Cal.App.4th 1128, 1135-1136, 32 Cal.Rptr.2d 755, 758-759

Negligence liability for a defective condition existing at the time the premises are leased does not turn on the landlord's actual knowledge of the condition; nor does it turn on a showing that the landlord had reason to anticipate the possibility of a particular defect. The general Ca Civil § 1714(a) duty of care requires landlords to conduct a reasonable safety inspection of the leased premises before transferring possession. [Becker v. IRM Corp. (1985) 38 Cal.3d 454, 468-469, 213 Cal.Rptr. 213, 222-223]

Likewise, since landlords have a right of entry and control upon execution or renewal of a lease, they have a duty to inspect upon renewal, assignment or sublease, and upon reletting the premises to a prior tenant. [Mora v. Baker Commodities, Inc. (1989) 210 Cal.App.3d 771, 781, 258 Cal.Rptr. 669, 675 (sublease); Portillo v. Aiassa (1994) 27 Cal.App.4th 1128, 1134, 32 Cal.Rptr.2d 755, 758 (lease renewal)--agreement to renew or relet cannot relieve landlord of duty to conduct reasonable safety inspection; Dennis v. City of Orange (1930) 110 Cal.App. 16, 22-23, 293 P 865, 867 (reletting to prior tenant)]

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">