• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limiting Number of Children in Rental?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilycakes

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

A house we have is soon going to fully repaired and readied for rental again. It's a smallish two-bedroom and a tremendous amount of damage was done by our last tenant (Mom with two small boys).

I simply don't want to rent to anyone with more than one child. Is this okay to limit the amount of children? Maybe I'm wrong but I think I can limit the amount of people but I don't want to find myself limiting it to three and have another mother (or Dad) with two small ones and can't extricate myself from renting to them.

ENASNI

lilycakes said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

A house we have is soon going to fully repaired and readied for rental again. It's a smallish two-bedroom and a tremendous amount of damage was done by our last tenant (Mom with two small boys).

I simply don't want to rent to anyone with more than one child. Is this okay to limit the amount of children? Maybe I'm wrong but I think I can limit the amount of people but I don't want to find myself limiting it to three and have another mother (or Dad) with two small ones and can't extricate myself from renting to them.
Landlords need to know their State's Laws
http://www.azsos.gov/public_services/publications/Residential_Landlord_Tenant_Act/2004/Landlord_Act.htm

A. A person who knowingly refuses to rent to any other person a place to be used for a dwelling for the reason that the other person has a child or children, or who advertises in connection with the rental a restriction against children, either by the display of a sign, placard or written or printed notice, or by publication thereof in a newspaper of general circulation, is guilty of a petty offense.

B. No person shall rent or lease his property to another in violation of a valid restrictive covenant against the sale of such property to persons who have a child or children living with them.

C. No person shall rent or lease his property to persons who have a child or children living with them when his property meets the definition of housing for older persons in section 41-1491.04.

D. A person who knowingly rents or leases his property in violation of the provisions of subsection B or C of this section is guilty of a petty offense.

lilycakes

The few times I've had a question, this forum has always come through quickly and informatively and this was no exception. Thank you very, very much!

I really don't even blame the kids for the damage -- it was their mother. I like children but I genuinely think it's way too small for three children, I'd prefer just one but two wouldn't really bother me again. It's the parent I've got to make sure adheres to the Lease Agreement.

Thanks again! You guys are great!

ENASNI

Ain't kids great

lilycakes said:
The few times I've had a question, this forum has always come through quickly and informatively and this was no exception. Thank you very, very much!

I really don't even blame the kids for the damage -- it was their mother. I like children but I genuinely think it's way too small for three children, I'd prefer just one but two wouldn't really bother me again. It's the parent I've got to make sure adheres to the Lease Agreement.

Thanks again! You guys are great!
Make sure the parent(s) believe in Duct tape... wondrous stuff 100's of uses. ;)

Who's Liable?

In AZ, it's 2 people per room per unit... ALthough you can't deny a rental unit to a person with children, you can deny a rental unit to a person with 10 children in a 2-bedroom unit citing too many people living in the rental unit is a hazard...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">