• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living with Bats and rude Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SadEeyore

What is the name of your state? MA

Myself and 3 other girls have a lease signed for a house til Sept, 2004. It is a multi-family house, the landlord lives in the basement, we have the second floor and the attic.

First we have a mice problem, and recently we found Bats flying in and out of our attic.

The exterminator came, and he cannot remove the bat until it gets warmer, because bats are endangered species and it is illegal to kill them or remove them from their nest while it is still cold.

Meanwhile, the attic is build in such a bad shape that bats can come in anywhere. 2 of my roommates live in the attic, and a bat was found in her closet.

We did research and knew that we can't break our lease if the landlord agreed to fix the problem. However, in this case, we can't fix the problem til May. (Yes, we get snow in May last year).

Can anyone give us some advice please? we want to MOVE OUT.

mykoleary

Here's a link to the US FWS page on endangered bats. Make sure that the bats you have are actually bats that are on the list.

Give them a call or email and maybe send some pictures. They could probably give you alternative solutions and let you know if maybe the ones you have are not even protected (in which case you could just kill them...)

http://endangered.fws.gov/bats/bats.htm

HomeGuru

SadEeyore said:
What is the name of your state? MA

Myself and 3 other girls have a lease signed for a house til Sept, 2004. It is a multi-family house, the landlord lives in the basement, we have the second floor and the attic.

First we have a mice problem, and recently we found Bats flying in and out of our attic.

The exterminator came, and he cannot remove the bat until it gets warmer, because bats are endangered species and it is illegal to kill them or remove them from their nest while it is still cold.

Meanwhile, the attic is build in such a bad shape that bats can come in anywhere. 2 of my roommates live in the attic, and a bat was found in her closet.

We did research and knew that we can't break our lease if the landlord agreed to fix the problem. However, in this case, we can't fix the problem til May. (Yes, we get snow in May last year).

Can anyone give us some advice please? we want to MOVE OUT.
**A: in addition to reading your lease, I suggest you read the MA L/T law.

P

Pfaffing85690

Bates Bar-B-Que and lemon work wonders :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">