• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living in hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gail in Georgia

Quite honestly, some of what management has been stating isn't very far from the truth.

You two move in about a month ago and you still haven't been added to the lease. Your roommate tried to meet with them "for about a week" and since no one was in the office from your posting it sounds as if neither one of you has tried to do anything in the meantime. Your roommate also snuck in an unauthorized pet without paying the required pet deposit and is still using the same excuse as above.

Actually, legally a stove isn't "essential"; however, if the unit came with one it is up to management to keep it in good repair. Have the LEGAL tenant (your roommate) either write a letter to management demanding either a repair or replacement of the stove and a replacement of your bathroom lighting fixture or she'll be contacting local Code Enforcement regarding these matters.

As for you....you're in a bit of limbo here. You're not on the lease (yet) and so your time there is tenuous. I'd suggest you both get off your rear ends, get your name on the lease, have the roommate pay the pet deposit...even if this means taking off work during the day to meet management in their office.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and stop the hysterics. Nothing in your post indicates that you are "living in hell."

crjs16

...and stop the hysterics. Nothing in your post indicates that you are "living in hell."
if you do not agree with my post then you don't have to reply but since you aren't living in my situation then you don't know what I'm going through so thank you for your comment but it wasn't needed thank you.

crjs16

Quite honestly, some of what management has been stating isn't very far from the truth.

You two move in about a month ago and you still haven't been added to the lease. Your roommate tried to meet with them "for about a week" and since no one was in the office from your posting it sounds as if neither one of you has tried to do anything in the meantime. Your roommate also snuck in an unauthorized pet without paying the required pet deposit and is still using the same excuse as above.

Actually, legally a stove isn't "essential"; however, if the unit came with one it is up to management to keep it in good repair. Have the LEGAL tenant (your roommate) either write a letter to management demanding either a repair or replacement of the stove and a replacement of your bathroom lighting fixture or she'll be contacting local Code Enforcement regarding these matters.

As for you....you're in a bit of limbo here. You're not on the lease (yet) and so your time there is tenuous. I'd suggest you both get off your rear ends, get your name on the lease, have the roommate pay the pet deposit...even if this means taking off work during the day to meet management in their office.

Gail
Sorry about my wording but she actually has been attempting to meet with them for more than just a week which is why later in my post I said that we have been trying to tell them about myself and the pet to see what steps to take to add both of us to the lease without issue all month but no one has been there and since they aren't there physically you can assume they don't answer calls either. I have taken the time off of work and gone to an empty office, called and emailed. I'm not just sitting here with malicious intent I was the one who originally inquired about the apartment and spoke with management and she's the one who went when the lease was signed so we weren't purposefully hiding myself or our dog from the leasing office but as I've said there's no one there. We paid the pet deposit. My question was how to handle a situation when they are complaining to us about things that we have been actively trying to solve to no response in their end. Thanks

Zigner

if you do not agree with my post then you don't have to reply but since you aren't living in my situation then you don't know what I'm going through so thank you for your comment but it wasn't needed thank you.
<SMH>

If you approach management in the same hysterical tone, they are FAR less likely to take you seriously.

crjs16

<SMH>

If you approach management in the same hysterical tone, they are FAR less likely to take you seriously.
Well good thing you aren't management. As I said before if you do not know the extent of my living situation which you personally cannot understand via text then you did not have to reply. I asked a question and you didn't answer it you just downplayed my situation and insulted me so your 'advice' is not wanted or needed.

Zigner

Well good thing you aren't management. As I said before if you do not know the extent of my living situation which you personally cannot understand via text then you did not have to reply. I asked a question and you didn't answer it you just downplayed my situation and insulted me so your 'advice' is not wanted or needed.
Alrighty then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

crjs16

Sorry about my wording but she actually has been attempting to meet with them for more than just a week which is why later in my post I said that we have been trying to tell them about myself and the pet to see what steps to take to add both of us to the lease without issue all month but no one has been there and since they aren't there physically you can assume they don't answer calls either. I have taken the time off of work and gone to an empty office, called and emailed. I'm not just sitting here with malicious intent I was the one who originally inquired about the apartment and spoke with management and she's the one who went when the lease was signed so we weren't purposefully hiding myself or our dog from the leasing office but as I've said there's no one there. We paid the pet deposit. My question was how to handle a situation when they are complaining to us about things that we have been actively trying to solve to no response in their end. Thanks
Oh sorry also all appliances were included with the lease and are their responsibility according to the lease

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Zig might not be management at your building, but Zig is an adult. Zig does not need someone else to cosign a lease, should Zig choose to move into an apartment like yours, because Zig has what's called a "credit history".

Management at your building is also staffed by adults. Like, there might actually be people over 25 in the office. You kind of have to communicate like a responsible adult in order to get a positive response.

You moved into a place where your name was not on the lease. Legally, that makes you a guest - you are not a party of that contract, better known as a lease. You did not get authorization to live there. I don't know any tinier words, shorter sentences, that would convey this information.

There are many ways that you could of gotten yourself on the lease before moving in but you didn't.

So, *yes* it is *legal* for your friend to be evicted for not following the letter of the lease.

Zigner

zig might not be management at your building, but zig is an adult. Zig does not need someone else to cosign a lease, should zig choose to move into an apartment like yours, because zig has what's called a "credit history".

Management at your building is also staffed by adults. Like, there might actually be people over 25 in the office. You kind of have to communicate like a responsible adult in order to get a positive response.

You moved into a place where your name was not on the lease. Legally, that makes you a guest - you are not a party of that contract, better known as a lease. You did not get authorization to live there. I don't know any tinier words, shorter sentences, that would convey this information.

There are many ways that you could of gotten yourself on the lease before moving in but you didn't.

So, *yes* it is *legal* for your friend to be evicted for not following the letter of the lease.
^^^[sup]like[/sup]^^^

crjs16

Zig might not be management at your building, but Zig is an adult. Zig does not need someone else to cosign a lease, should Zig choose to move into an apartment like yours, because Zig has what's called a "credit history".

Thank you for your advice. However you answered a question that was not asked. I know it is legal for them to evict her for not following the letter of the lease. 2. I am an adult with a college education and full time job the cosigner is not for me, I have credit and sufficient funds to live on my own however I am helping out a friend with her living situation until she gets on her feet once again a question that was not asked that you took upon yourself to answer. Since you know all the ways for me to get on a lease before moving in aside from calling, visiting or emailing what would you suggest a pigeon call? Due to the living situation I have not even moved in officially I stay a few nights a week to help take care of her service dog when she has to work long shifts again yet another detail that you didn't bother to ask before coming to your boyfriends rescue and responding to my post. If there were adults working in this office which clearly they aren't adults if they can't even come to work during business hours and have all been fired according to management who's excuse as of an hour ago for not being in the office for a month was going through a 'transitional period' then they would have responded to emails and calls asking when was the earliest I could be added legally to the lease. Therefore you and your precious 'Zig' can kiss my ass with your derogatory advice. Clearly you two aren't the adults since you're spending time insulting someone who has not given you a reason to be disrespectful.

Zigner

Thank you for your advice. However you answered a question that was not asked. I know it is legal for them to evict her for not following the letter of the lease. 2. I am an adult with a college education and full time job the cosigner is not for me, I have credit and sufficient funds to live on my own however I am helping out a friend with her living situation until she gets on her feet once again a question that was not asked that you took upon yourself to answer. Since you know all the ways for me to get on a lease before moving in aside from calling, visiting or emailing what would you suggest a pigeon call? Due to the living situation I have not even moved in officially I stay a few nights a week to help take care of her service dog when she has to work long shifts again yet another detail that you didn't bother to ask before coming to your boyfriends rescue and responding to my post. If there were adults working in this office which clearly they aren't adults if they can't even come to work during business hours and have all been fired according to management who's excuse as of an hour ago for not being in the office for a month was going through a 'transitional period' then they would have responded to emails and calls asking when was the earliest I could be added legally to the lease. Therefore you and your precious 'Zig' can kiss my ass with your derogatory advice. Clearly you two aren't the adults since you're spending time insulting someone who has not given you a reason to be disrespectful.
Bless your heart.

Gail in Georgia

So now her unauthorized "pet" has suddenly become a "service dog" (there's a big difference between the two) and although your first posting stated you are your roommate "moved into a new apartment complex about a month ago" you now only stay there a few nights a week to help with this "service dog".

Look; if you can't even keep your stories straight then there is really nothing that a forum like this can provide you.

Good luck...

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">