• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LL keeping property after Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Athena2482

What is the name of your state? New York

My brother had been living with his best friend for the past year and a half. He was, in his best friends words, "helping out a friend" by allowing him to stay there rent free as he didn't want to live with our mother any longer. And that is what he did. My brother lived there rent free and worked at the restaurant his best friend's father owned. He received a paycheck, like any other employee.

I had some furniture I had purchased and no longer needed. My brother was sleeping on the floor at his friend's house, so I gifted him my furniture. I gave him a queen size bed (purchased in 2000 for 500$) and a leather livingroom sofa bed and loveseat (purchased in 2000 for 1700$)as well as a computer (purchased in 2001 for 2000$) because he was starting college soon. They were gifts for HIS use so he'd have a place to sleep and some nice furniture. I should also say that months earlier, when I was first trying to sell my furniture, my brother's friend offered to pay $1000 for the sofa and loveseat.

Recently my brother and his friend had an altercation that resulted in his friend packing up his clothes and asking him to leave. Which he did, with only his clothes and a promise to later come witha truck to move the furniture. Its been about 2 wks and when I asked the friend about a good time for my brother and I to pick up the furniture he said," hes not taking that stuff". The friend told me that since they threw out some of his old furniture (and old couch and twin bed) to make room for the new that they're keeping my brother's stuff as a replacement. How do we go about retrieving this property if he wont just let us pick it up?

FarmerJ

Registered return recpt mail with a letter demanding that the the furniture be returned or a promise of taking him to court for the value of the furniture . Either he will give it up or he will have to explain himself in a court room .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">