• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LL/rent issue-help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sjca

I sent out my rent on the 1st overnight express delivery with the post office so I can track delivery.When delivering express mail to a PO box the post office puts a notice in the PO box, so that the person has to sign for it. Today, the LL called a left a message saying that she check her PO box and hadn't recieved the rent.I tracked it online with the postal service and saw that it has been in her pobox since the 2nd. I then called the USPS to confirm that it had been there since the 2nd and was told that a second attempt of delivery notice was already in her box. This is the 2nd time that the LL claims to have not recieved the rent, when in fact it was in her PO box as we spoke. Having said all that, I have two questions. 1) If I have the express delivery reciept with the tracking # and a record is on file at the PO that it was delivered, is that enough legally speaking? and @) if the LL doesn't pick up the check withn 5 days of the 2nd delivery attempt, then the PO will send it back to me...what do I do then?

D

dj1

is this some sneaky way the landlord is trying to evict you?

And why are you sending it express? Priority or just plain certified will be accepted as a legal mailing date in court, why waste the money?

Whats up kid?

S

sjca

You know, dj1, I think it might be her way of trying to evict us. The thing I don't understand is why doesn't she give us our 30 days notice. I send it express mail so I can track it online specifically for this reason. She has tried to say that she didn't get it once before, and when confronted with the fact that it was in her PO box, she then said that she wanted an inspection. I agreed and called her twice about setting up a day, she never returned my phone calls. That was in December. To me it seemed that she wanted to try to get us out one way or another. Or maybe she likes to see people squirm, who knows. Any advice you can offer would be great.

D

dj1

well do you have a lease? then she cant evict you until it ends...

If you are month to month why not give her your 30 day notice to be out by april 30th, and make sure you do a walk thru take lots of pictures while she is there and she will have to give your your deposit back or you will sue her in small cliams court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">