• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lodger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbieg12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I have 3 lodgers who rent rooms from me and I also live in house. One lodger insists on bringing boyfriend in for sleeping over taking showers and we said that is not allowed. She says she can bring in any quest she wants and I say she doesn't have the right as a lodger. That he is a tresspasser. Is this true.

Some Random Guy

Does the person have a written lease, or are they a month to month tenant? Since this is renting rooms of your residence, I assume rent control does not apply in your situation.

Regardless of her rights to bring overnight guests, you do have the right to give proper legal notice to your renter that their lease will not be renewed and that they should plan on moving. Read the landlord/tenant laws for your state (which you should be familiar with as a landlord) and lookup the proper amount of notice to provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">