• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loud neighbor and one other issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aislynn

What is the name of your state? MA

My boyfriend and I moved into an apartment complex back in July of 2004. I’ve had many issues with the place since I’ve move in, but there have been two major problems:

1. Since day one, the girl living next-door likes to play her music extremely loud, and she does so late into the night. The lease states that music should not be played loud at any time, and no loud music should be playing at all after 9pm. It also has a stipulation for using loud appliance after 9pm. Nevertheless, this girl plays loud music and vacuums late into the night. The first time this occurred, I went next-door—at 12am, mind you—to ask if she could turn her music down because I was trying to sleep. I explained that her music was loud and her throbbing base was rocking my bed. She told me to move my bed away from out adjoining wall. I explained that my bed was not against that wall. She started to get frustrated and asked why I was bothering her in the middle of the night. I tried to stay calm and explain that I would not be bothering her if her music weren’t loud. She said she wasn’t playing music, she claimed she was watching Sex and the City and asked if I expected her to keep from relaxing when she got home from school. I told her that I didn’t expect her not to relax, but asked if she could listen to her music and/or television show at a lower volume. She got frustrated and said she’d been living in the apartment for two years without having anyone complain. And I could totally see why the people living in the apartment before my boyfriend and I didn’t complain. When we first moved into the apartment there were various things broken: the toilet paper dispenser was ripped off the wall; there were large gashes in the living room’s wood floor; and the kitchen floor was all ripped up. It looked like these two guys partied a lot. And we know they were two guys, because we still get their mail. Anyway, the noise continued. At first, I tried to reason with her a few more times. Then I finally got frustrated and called the front office. They’ve done nothing. They make excuses for her. Explaining that she is a graduate student living differing hours than us. That maybe the next time she is loud we could have the girl come over to our apartment and listen to how loud it sounds in our apartment. I said no to that suggestion. I told the front office that I would feel more comfortable having someone from the office come and listen, because if she doesn’t think her music was loud when in her bedroom, why would she ever think it loud in my room. Plus, why would I want the girl who likes to flip out on me when I ask her to turn the music down in my apartment, ever? But they have no answer for that. The people in the office seem to think I should settle this with the girl on my own. I feel that is wrong. It clearly states in the lease that there should be no loud music. Not to mention the fact that we asked if people played their music loudly when we first moved in. They reassured us that no one ever did. That they run a quiet complex. What can I do to make this stop? Why won’t the office help me? I actually called the cops on her the other night. But I don’t like doing that. I don’t like taking it to that level. There must be an alternative. The office should be liable. They should enforce the lease. What can I do?

2. During the snowstorm on 01/22/05 and 01/23/05, the plow trucks for my apartment complex parking lots plowed a huge mound of snow op against my car. My car was not parked in an illegal spot. In fact, we were not told any specific place to park our cars during the storm (we have parking lots for each building in the complex), but the plow still plowed me in. We (my boyfriend and I) saw the plow moving a ten-foot mound of snow up against my car late Saturday night. I was floored. I thought maybe the angle of my window made it look that way, but when my boyfriend went on Sunday to check out the situation, sure enough, my car was plowed in. I called the emergency maintenance line to tell them what happened. They didn’t believe me at first, they thought it was a snowdrift (luckily I took pictures). I explained that we saw the plow move the snow against my car. She said she’d see what she could do, but I’d probably have to dig myself out. Yeah right!! It was seriously ten feet high!!! And some of the snow has spilled on to the back of my car. So. I called the emergency maintenance line again. Finally, they sent someone to look at my car. The guy called me back and said they’d get a plow to get me out soon. At 10pm, it was still not there. So. I called again, and they said it would be gone by morning. I couldn’t sleep the whole night waiting for the trucks to come. But they didn’t come. I went out at 7am, and my car was still plowed in. I took more pictures. I called the emergency maintenance number again. They sent some guys to meet me at the mound. Those two guys came with shovels and laughed at me. Said they thought I’d be stuck there all winter. I asked why a snowplow-guy would do such a thing. They said that someone probably didn’t like me. I was furious. I walked to the office; told them about the mound, told them I was missing a day of work, the very thing I need to do to pay my rent. She didn’t believe it about the mound. I told her I had pictures I was walking to Brooks to get developed. She then asked what I wanted from them. I said I wanted that day of pay docked from my rent. She said she’d have to talk to the property manager and she’d have to see the pictures. Well, we have a meeting with them tomorrow, with the pictures. Legally, are they obligated to remove that day from my rent? What should I do about this? Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Aislynn said:
What is the name of your state? MA

My boyfriend and I moved into an apartment complex back in July of 2004. I’ve had many issues with the place since I’ve move in, but there have been two major problems:

1. Since day one, the girl living next-door likes to play her music extremely loud, and she does so late into the night. The lease states that music should not be played loud at any time, and no loud music should be playing at all after 9pm. It also has a stipulation for using loud appliance after 9pm. Nevertheless, this girl plays loud music and vacuums late into the night. The first time this occurred, I went next-door—at 12am, mind you—to ask if she could turn her music down because I was trying to sleep. I explained that her music was loud and her throbbing base was rocking my bed. She told me to move my bed away from out adjoining wall. I explained that my bed was not against that wall. She started to get frustrated and asked why I was bothering her in the middle of the night. I tried to stay calm and explain that I would not be bothering her if her music weren’t loud. She said she wasn’t playing music, she claimed she was watching Sex and the City and asked if I expected her to keep from relaxing when she got home from school. I told her that I didn’t expect her not to relax, but asked if she could listen to her music and/or television show at a lower volume. She got frustrated and said she’d been living in the apartment for two years without having anyone complain. And I could totally see why the people living in the apartment before my boyfriend and I didn’t complain. When we first moved into the apartment there were various things broken: the toilet paper dispenser was ripped off the wall; there were large gashes in the living room’s wood floor; and the kitchen floor was all ripped up. It looked like these two guys partied a lot. And we know they were two guys, because we still get their mail. Anyway, the noise continued. At first, I tried to reason with her a few more times. Then I finally got frustrated and called the front office. They’ve done nothing. They make excuses for her. Explaining that she is a graduate student living differing hours than us. That maybe the next time she is loud we could have the girl come over to our apartment and listen to how loud it sounds in our apartment. I said no to that suggestion. I told the front office that I would feel more comfortable having someone from the office come and listen, because if she doesn’t think her music was loud when in her bedroom, why would she ever think it loud in my room. Plus, why would I want the girl who likes to flip out on me when I ask her to turn the music down in my apartment, ever? But they have no answer for that. The people in the office seem to think I should settle this with the girl on my own. I feel that is wrong. It clearly states in the lease that there should be no loud music. Not to mention the fact that we asked if people played their music loudly when we first moved in. They reassured us that no one ever did. That they run a quiet complex. What can I do to make this stop? Why won’t the office help me? I actually called the cops on her the other night. But I don’t like doing that. I don’t like taking it to that level. There must be an alternative. The office should be liable. They should enforce the lease. What can I do?

2. During the snowstorm on 01/22/05 and 01/23/05, the plow trucks for my apartment complex parking lots plowed a huge mound of snow op against my car. My car was not parked in an illegal spot. In fact, we were not told any specific place to park our cars during the storm (we have parking lots for each building in the complex), but the plow still plowed me in. We (my boyfriend and I) saw the plow moving a ten-foot mound of snow up against my car late Saturday night. I was floored. I thought maybe the angle of my window made it look that way, but when my boyfriend went on Sunday to check out the situation, sure enough, my car was plowed in. I called the emergency maintenance line to tell them what happened. They didn’t believe me at first, they thought it was a snowdrift (luckily I took pictures). I explained that we saw the plow move the snow against my car. She said she’d see what she could do, but I’d probably have to dig myself out. Yeah right!! It was seriously ten feet high!!! And some of the snow has spilled on to the back of my car. So. I called the emergency maintenance line again. Finally, they sent someone to look at my car. The guy called me back and said they’d get a plow to get me out soon. At 10pm, it was still not there. So. I called again, and they said it would be gone by morning. I couldn’t sleep the whole night waiting for the trucks to come. But they didn’t come. I went out at 7am, and my car was still plowed in. I took more pictures. I called the emergency maintenance number again. They sent some guys to meet me at the mound. Those two guys came with shovels and laughed at me. Said they thought I’d be stuck there all winter. I asked why a snowplow-guy would do such a thing. They said that someone probably didn’t like me. I was furious. I walked to the office; told them about the mound, told them I was missing a day of work, the very thing I need to do to pay my rent. She didn’t believe it about the mound. I told her I had pictures I was walking to Brooks to get developed. She then asked what I wanted from them. I said I wanted that day of pay docked from my rent. She said she’d have to talk to the property manager and she’d have to see the pictures. Well, we have a meeting with them tomorrow, with the pictures. Legally, are they obligated to remove that day from my rent? What should I do about this? Can someone help me?

Thank you.

**A: you post is too long.

Aislynn

Okay, maybe this will sum it up:

1. My neighbor plays loud music every night. She refuses to listen to it a normal level. The lease clearly states no loud music after 9pm. The property manager is doing nothing. What can I do about this?

2. During the snow storm, more than ten feet of snow was plowed up against my car on Saturday night in the parking lot of my apartment complex. At first, the front desk didn't believe me, then they told me I would get plowed out, and then nothing happened. When they finally sent people to plow me out (late Monday morning 9am), the two guys with shovel refused to shovel me out, saying, "We're not doing this. You're probably going to be stuck here all winter." And, "Someone obviously doesn't like you." The front desk finally sent one of those bobcat plowers to get me out. But I had already missed a day of work. I took pictures of the mound. So. Is the property manager liable for that missed day of work?

Can anyone help me with either of these issues.

HomeGuru

Aislynn said:

1. My neighbor plays loud music every night. She refuses to listen to it a normal level. The lease clearly states no loud music after 9pm. The property manager is doing nothing. What can I do about this?

**A: call the cops and buy some Rap and Hip-hop CD's.

2. During the snow storm, more than ten feet of snow was plowed up against my car on Saturday night in the parking lot of my apartment complex. At first, the front desk didn't believe me, then they told me I would get plowed out, and then nothing happened. When they finally sent people to plow me out (late Monday morning 9am), the two guys with shovel refused to shovel me out, saying, "We're not doing this. You're probably going to be stuck here all winter." And, "Someone obviously doesn't like you." The front desk finally sent one of those bobcat plowers to get me out. But I had already missed a day of work. I took pictures of the mound. So. Is the property manager liable for that missed day of work?

**A: no, but you can sue your L. and did you not avail yourself to other forms of transportation ie. car pool, hitchhike, bus, tram, train, boat, taxi, scooter..........

Can anyone help me with either of these issues.
**A: good luck.

You Are Guilty

Aislynn said:

1. Nothing.
2. More calls to the police.
3. More calls to the management company.
4. Send some written complaints, (RRR), to the management co & landlord.
5. Sue neighbor, management co., and property owner.

You can certainly make that argument. Legally though, probably not. Who did you piss off?

Aislynn

I've called the cops about the loud music issue. They've actually been very nice about it. But the girl doesn't seem to care. And…why would I want to buy hip-hop CDs? If you’re implying that I should play loud music right back at her…well, I don’t want to do that. And I didn’t want to start calling the cops. I wanted to handle it peacefully, but she doesn’t care, or, even more likely, she thinks I’m the one bugging her, which I guess I am, from her perspective. But the lease is clear: no loud music after 9pm. And I actually keep my television down to level five in my bedroom to ensure I don’t bother her when I get up at 4:30am. And I’m not going to play loud music just to get back at her; I just want to get a good night sleep for once. I actually keep a big, high-powered fan going to try to drown out the noise. It doesn’t drown out the noise completely, but it keeps it to an almost tolerable level, but it makes me cold, which is almost as frustrating as her music. My dad actually bought me a white-nose CD. But that doesn’t even touch the noise.

No, I don’t have an alternative method for getting to work. I live 40minutes from work. The only person who used to live near me got laid off a few months ago. There is a shuttle from my complex, but it only goes to Boston, which is in a different direction from where I work. My boyfriend works in NH, which is the opposite direction from where I work. I have to go down 95, onto 90 and then on to 495 to get to work. I go through a toll and I leave at 5am to get to work. Unless I call a taxi, there are no other ways to get to work. I told the front office all of this. And if I did call a taxi, wouldn’t the complex be liable for that fee? Which may be more than the day off a work.

I'm actually meeting with the property manager about both issues tomorrow. I thought I would use this forum to see if I could get some legal advice on how to deal with the property manager when my boyfriend and I meet with her.

Aislynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Guilty
1. Nothing.
2. More calls to the police.
3. More calls to the management company.
4. Send some written complaints, (RRR), to the management co & landlord.
5. Sue neighbor, management co., and property owner.

Aisly replies:
Well, that (# 1 through 3) is what I've been doing. I guess writing a complaint is my next option. Thanks.

Quote:
Who did you piss off?

Aislynn replies:
I don't know who I P*d off. I think the snow-shovel-guy just made the comment off-hand. He was laughing when he said it. Like he thought the whole thing was funny. Which I guess to someone not dealing with the situation, it kinda was... But it was frustrating for me. I never realized how much I depend on my car. I felt trapped.

HomeGuru

Aislynn said:
I've called the cops about the loud music issue. They've actually been very nice about it. But the girl doesn't seem to care. And…why would I want to buy hip-hop CDs? If you’re implying that I should play loud music right back at her…well, I don’t want to do that. And I didn’t want to start calling the cops. I wanted to handle it peacefully, but she doesn’t care, or, even more likely, she thinks I’m the one bugging her, which I guess I am, from her perspective. But the lease is clear: no loud music after 9pm. And I actually keep my television down to level five in my bedroom to ensure I don’t bother her when I get up at 4:30am. And I’m not going to play loud music just to get back at her; I just want to get a good night sleep for once. I actually keep a big, high-powered fan going to try to drown out the noise. It doesn’t drown out the noise completely, but it keeps it to an almost tolerable level, but it makes me cold, which is almost as frustrating as her music. My dad actually bought me a white-nose CD. But that doesn’t even touch the noise.

**A: ok, give us a freaking break. With that idiot you can't do anything, so if you want peace, keep calling the cops. And what t he heck is a white-nose CD? I guess it can't be from a black Gangsta group.
No, I don’t have an alternative method for getting to work. I live 40minutes from work. The only person who used to live near me got laid off a few months ago. There is a shuttle from my complex, but it only goes to Boston, which is in a different direction from where I work. My boyfriend works in NH, which is the opposite direction from where I work. I have to go down 95, onto 90 and then on to 495 to get to work. I go through a toll and I leave at 5am to get to work. Unless I call a taxi, there are no other ways to get to work. I told the front office all of this. And if I did call a taxi, wouldn’t the complex be liable for that fee? Which may be more than the day off a work.

**A: if I was your employer, I would tell you to call a taxi.

I'm actually meeting with the property manager about both issues tomorrow. I thought I would use this forum to see if I could get some legal advice on how to deal with the property manager when my boyfriend and I meet with her.
**A: does your boyfriend live with you? If so, he could have dropped you off at work. Now when you talk to the manager, discuss your lease and the right to "quiet enjoyment". Ciao.

Aislynn

Sorry, I meant "white-noise" CD. It is supposed to drown out noice.

So I guess continuing to call the cops is my only option.

Also... My boyfriend works in New Hampshire, I work in Milford, MA (exit 20 on 495). His drive is 45 north of where we live, my drive is 40 minutes south of where we live. He leaves for work at 6am, I leave at 5am. It would be beyond crazy for him to drop me off in Milford and then drive north to NH.

Taking a taxi or missing work? Either way I'm out money. Which is frustrating. Which could have been avoided if there plow trucks plowed snow to certain designated areas. So. Any advice on how to deal with the property manager tomorrow? Anything I could say or do? Or is this just a lost cause? I will discuss the lease. Thanks for that.

Anyway, if you don't have anything else. Thanks for trying. :)

HomeGuru

Aislynn said:
Sorry, I meant "white-noise" CD. It is supposed to drown out noice.

**A: what is noice?
So I guess continuing to call the cops is my only option.

**A: or do nothing.

Also... My boyfriend works in New Hampshire, I work in Milford, MA (exit 20 on 495). His drive is 45 north of where we live, my drive is 40 minutes south of where we live. He leaves for work at 6am, I leave at 5am. It would be beyond crazy for him to drop me off in Milford and then drive north to NH.

**A: no, not crazy. You both could have left at 2 or 3 AM.

Taking a taxi or missing work? Either way I'm out money. Which is frustrating.

**A: yeah, but a taxi driver can't fire you. Get the point?
Which could have been avoided if there plow trucks plowed snow to certain designated areas. So. Any advice on how to deal with the property manager tomorrow? Anything I could say or do? Or is this just a lost cause? I will discuss the lease. Thanks for that.

Anyway, if you don't have anything else. Thanks for trying. :)
**A: read your lease and the L/T law.

You Are Guilty

So. Any advice on how to deal with the property manager tomorrow? Anything I could say or do? Or is this just a lost cause?
Well, depending on your personal hygiene and the sexual proclivities of the property manager you'll be speaking with, you might want to consider wearing something low-cut. And bring nachos. Everyone loves nachos.

Aislynn

I meant noise again, not noice or nose. Sorry.

My office is not going to fire me for missing one day of work. I did however have to take an emergency personal day? Is that money? Yes. But I won't get fired. I do, however, miss a day of work. A day of work missed equals a day of pay missed. Taking a taxi probably would cost more for me. So. I opted for the day of work missed. Even if that means I’m now set back by a day and will need to stay late every night this week. Plus, if I didn't stay home and badger the front office people the whole day, my car never would have been plowed out. I think I made the right choice there.

Anyway, I'm not asking what I “should” have done. I'm asking how do I deal with the property manager tomorrow. I need to know what I should say to her. She is very oily, and I’m way too nice. And I will probably get screwed. So. I need advice. Should I tell her I'm suing her? Is it worth it? How do I ensure this doesn’t happen again? I need that kind of advice.

Aislynn

To "You are guilty"

Quote from You are guilty:
Well, depending on your personal hygiene and the sexual proclivities of the property manager you'll be speaking with, you might want to consider wearing something low-cut. And bring nachos. Everyone loves nachos.

Aislynn Replies:
What kind of advice is that?

Anyway, I always wear something low cut. So. Maybe that is why she doesn't like me. And maybe that is why the girl next door is so loud. Thanks, I should have thought of that before. ;)

Does anyone else have something that is actually helpful?

enjay

I once had the downstairs neighbor from hell. She called the cops on us for walking around in the middle of the night. We were 1000 miles away on vacation at the time. She was psycho. She took to deliberately antagonizing us by turning her stereo up to 10 when she went to work at night (she was a nurse) and leaving it on all night long. We called the cops, who repeatedly told us it was a management issue. This happened night after night for months.

Management was reluctant to do anything at all, until I started writing letter after letter and copying the higher ups at the management company. I stated something to the effect of, "we realize that we will hear our neighbors, however her deliberate actions to inturrupt our quiet enjoyment of our apartment as well as your refusal to demand that she follow the rules and regulations stated in her lease leave us no alternative but to terminate our lease. We feel confident that the county's landlord/tenant relations board will find in our favor." It worked. She was sent a letter stating that if we contacted the rental office one more time she would be evicted. We never heard another peep out of her.

Aislynn

To Enjay

Thank you. :)

That is the best piece of advice I've received.

Also, I’m glad things are now working out well for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">