• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loud Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barbie21

I live in California and I would like to receive some feedback on some issues I am having with my neighbors that live below me. I stay in a two story 4 complex (two units on top and two units at the bottom.

My problem is that my neighbors has two children a boy 9 and girl 2 or 3 and on a every day basis they run back and forth throughout their unit. They stay in a 3 bedroom that consist of the grandma who has the lease and her son and his wife and two children.

I informed the landlord of the situation about 2 months ago and he told me to monitor the situation for about a month and get back with him, which I did. The landlord then informed me to provide exact feedback such times when the noise occurred and the times of the incidents.

The landlord discussed the problem with the tenants and informed me that the neighbors would over see the children more, etc... The landlord told me to then monitor the situation for a week to see how things go and things still have not changed. I have inform the landlord if the outcome and am awaiting their response. What should I do can you please advise me on my right and what actions should I take that I have not already taken.

Thank you,

Last edited:

DeenaCA

Families with children are a protected class under the federal Fair Housing Act; see Civil Rights Division Home Page.

Noise from children is expected in apartment living. The only way to avoid it is to live in "housing for older persons" or in a single-family home. Realistically, the landlord cannot make the children be quiet and he cannot evict the family on the basis that they have children.

Read the fair housing charges based on "familial status" at FH Act Enforcement Activity - HUD. Also see the Nebraska case recently posted at www.fairhousing.com.

BL

See if you can break the lease ( in writing and move ) , or move to another quieter property the LL may have .

Young toddlers run,jump,and play .

A LL can not discriminated on children .

A Judge would deny any eviction because of the children.

Hot Topic

Usually, tenants complain about apartments above them. I find it hard to believe that the children living under you could create as great an impact.

If the kids are running around at 2 a.m., it's one thing. If they're running around at 2 p.m., it's another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">