• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maintenance Entering Apartment Without Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tblue.gator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hi,

I live in a relatively large apartment complex in FL which employs a maintenance staff of about 10 individuals. Several times since moving in almost a year ago, maintenance has entered the apartment without my consent and without providing any notice. It is my understanding that they never provide a notice to any of the residents here and frequently enter the apartments while tenants are away. My apartment is a two-bedroom, individual lease unit, each bed-space having a unique lock, with the other bed-space in my unit currently being uninhabited. Are they allowed to enter my apartment without my consent? Without notice?

Thank you

atomizer

About half the states require notice, I think FL does. But if you put in for a repair, then permission to enter is presumed to have been given. Look up your FL statutes and if indicated, insist that notice be provided. Why is part of your rental uninhabitable?

tblue.gator

I checked out the statues, if I'm interpretting them correctly they have to give at least a 12 hour notice. Anyone else care to read over them and give me a second opinion?

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0083/SEC53.HTM&Title=->2002->Ch0083->Section%2053#0083.53

The other bedroom is currently uninhabitated because my previous roomate was evicted. Thnak you for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">