• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maintenance entering without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RenaH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I have lived in my apartment for about a year and half now and when there is something that needs to be taken care of, ive always received a notice of atleast 24 hours before they enter. They ask if they can come in without permission, and most of the time I say no. I came home today to a note left by the maintanence in my restroom saying that they fixed the towel rack. 1. I never put in a work order for anything to be fixed. And 2. They came in with no notice nor my permission to enter without me being home. I am very upset because I feel it is an invasion of privacy. I feel nervous now of getting dressed or getting out of the shower and there being someone in the apartment without me knowing. Is this allowed? And how do I handle the situation? Any help is appreciated!:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

How did they know the towel rack needed to be fixed?

Gail
That's exactly what I was thinking...:rolleyes:

She must have mentioned something to the manager or the maintenance staff, which they took as a request to repair. And if there was a pending request to repair, then they didn't necessarily need permission to come in to effect the repairs. However, in such instances, unless it was an emergency, they STILL would be required to provide written notice.

RenaH

Oh sorry left that part out.. About a week ago they said they had to come in to check ac filters and smoke detectors. I assume they just seen the towel rack because I never said anything about it.

Gail in Georgia

Is this a fairly large apartment complex?

Sounds like maintenance did the routine AC/smoke detector check on more than one apartment, noted repair issues and possibly came to repair several without notifying the tenants.

Report this to management and request that they make certain you are notified when maintenance wants to enter the unit to make non-emergency repairs.

Gail

RenaH

Yes, it's a pretty big complex and they did check all apartments for the ac and smoke detectors. (when I got that notice on my door, I noticed the same notice on Everyones door) I will def make the comment to the management. Thank you!

pac72

so you are upset they made/discovered an additionally needed repair while they were already there doing notified maintence ?
id think id tell the maint guys thanks for finding and fixing something for you-
not getting them in trouble for fixing something you hadnt reported yet

RenaH

No. My issue is the fact that they came into my home while I wasn't there. I don't know about you, but I don't like just anyone being in my house while I'm unaware of it.

sandyclaus

No. My issue is the fact that they came into my home while I wasn't there. I don't know about you, but I don't like just anyone being in my house while I'm unaware of it.
I am the same way, but the fact is there is no law requiring or allowing you to be there when they can come to effect those repairs. Of course, this also is predicated upon them giving you proper written notice ahead of time in a non-emergency situation (which, presumably, is to allow you to make arrangements to be there if you choose to be).

But I'm with you. If they never gave you notice, you had no reason to expect them to come on in to do the repairs whether or not you were home. That is point that you need to make to management, that they need to make sure to notify you.

pac72

fyi ive been doing hvac work for 20 yrs- the worst doing maint is apt complexes-usually a notice is posted in an obvious place giving sufficent notice- one thing you must realize. the maint cant be done when its at your conveience-its done usually on a schedule..building a-b-c will be done monday
of course you have people who have not seen the posted notices-
if your maint guy actually stepped up and had gone beyond the limited scope
of his assigned duty-
im guessing the maint guy / mgmt actually cares about your units condition..

instead of complaining..they fixed something i never complained about..

MAYBE- a call to the office- hey the maint guy found a problem and fixed it..

( when my neighbor plows my driveway w 8 in of snow in the winter and dont do it well enough for me ...i say thanks- while im out dealing w grumpy people w/o heat- and yes maam- you are the first one that hasnt had heat today....lmao )

RenaH

Sandyclause your exactly right. Thank you. I will definately make that phone call. Pac72 you're not understanding what I'm saying. There was NO notice saying they were going to come in a week later. He knocked on the door and when no one answered He let himself in. What if I had been home and in the shower or changing and just didn't hear the knock. (im pregnant right now so moving in extra slow motion) He would have let himself in. I couldn't care less about the towel rack being broken, which is why I never called it in. You're obviously not getting what I'm saying so thanks anyway for your response. ;)

Searchertwin

fyi ive been doing hvac work for 20 yrs- the worst doing maint is apt complexes-usually a notice is posted in an obvious place giving sufficent notice- one thing you must realize. the maint cant be done when its at your conveience-its done usually on a schedule..building a-b-c will be done monday
of course you have people who have not seen the posted notices-
if your maint guy actually stepped up and had gone beyond the limited scope
of his assigned duty-
im guessing the maint guy / mgmt actually cares about your units condition..

instead of complaining..they fixed something i never complained about..

MAYBE- a call to the office- hey the maint guy found a problem and fixed it..

( when my neighbor plows my driveway w 8 in of snow in the winter and dont do it well enough for me ...i say thanks- while im out dealing w grumpy people w/o heat- and yes maam- you are the first one that hasnt had heat today....lmao )
What you are saying is right. But she is right also. She should have handle it differently, than screaming that "What if I came out of shower..." I hate when renters use that. A simple reply would have done the same thing. Highlighting the shower or changing clothes only draws attention to the maintenance man, not management who is really the one to blame. Why get maintenance man in trouble? When you are at home, you should always lock your door on the inside. Than you have no one to blame while getting out of shower.

Anyway, she should have called and said she really appreciated that the maintenance man did a excellent job of finding things that was not reported and took it on his own to fix. BUT I would appreciate that next time I would be given a notice at least 24 hours, unless emergency.
This would have been better way to handle the situation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">