• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusetts Tenant Changed Locks, Refuses to Give Key Copy to Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronaldbeaty

Massachusetts: A tenant has changed the lock on his rental unit and refuses to provide a copy of the key to the landlord (for no reason). There are no other issue occuring such as non-payment of rent or anything else. As the landlord, what immediate legal remedies do I have available to me to address this problem?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

Massachusetts: A tenant has changed the lock on his rental unit and refuses to provide a copy of the key to the landlord (for no reason). There are no other issue occuring such as non-payment of rent or anything else. As the landlord, what immediate legal remedies do I have available to me to address this problem?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Hire a locksmith and change them providing the tenant with a key . Take the cost out of their security deposit,or if your lease allows treat it as added rent for the next month.

I've heard they make tamper proof locks , that can not be changed .

Another recourse is to send them notice to provide you a key to access within the next 3 days ,or start eviction .

FarmerJ

Yup locksmiths sure do have tamper resistant locks , I have used them in the past at one property. the screws that secure them are such that they do not come out with out specialiazed tools. Your tenant does not have the right to lock you out of the unit. When you bill tenant for the locksmiths charges make it clear the bill is now paid from deposit funds and the deposit itself is short and if it is not paid plan on evicting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">