• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusetts tenant getting evicted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbybou

massachusetts

A friend, who like many has fallen on hard times. She is collecting unemployment and has fallen behind in her rent. In court today, she was told be out of the apartment in 3 weeks.

Is there anything she can do to buy herself a little more time?

Is there an appeal process in Massachusetts that she could look into?
Are there any groups or organizations that can help?

FarmerJ

3 weeks is EXTREMELY generous of the courts, just so you know in many other places it is alot less. I doubt your friend can get more time, your friend needs to focus on getting out first step that needs to be done is EVERY thing possible needs to go into storage to reduce the number of things to move. If your friend doenst do this it will look WAY worse when future LLs search out her history and learn that the county sheriffs dept had to come out and remove her because she didnt get out with in the time the courts gave her.

Alaska landlord

The time to have done something has passed. Your friend now has an eviction on her record and it will be difficult to find adequate housing from now on. If she decides to stay past her 15 days she will be put out on the street by the local authorities with little or no notice.

3 weeks is more than generous and criminal act committed on the LL by the Judge. Your friend gets to stay at her home at the expense of the LL.

I recently evicted a family on a Friday; the Judge gave them till Saturday night to pack up their belongings and leave. By Sunday morning I could have called the police to physically set them out. Naturally, they waited till Saturday night to start moving. I don’t understand some people. I would have been on it first thing Saturday morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">