• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massive noise disturbance, Landlord doing nothing. Please read. Godblessyou

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AdamDaniel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada, Ontario, Brampton

Hello all I thank you for taking the time to read, If I didnt make anything clear please let me know. Thanks hope you all the best.

At the start of november 2015, a noisy, inconsiderate/selfish, and dirty tenant moved into the basement property in which me and my close friend are renting 2 of the 3 rooms. The landlord did not ask us anything or notify us of someone moving in. We moved in during the month of August, and have been here since.
The problem is that this new tenant has 3-6 of his friends coming over into the basement common area and watching tv/playing games everyday at various times. They sit on a sofa which is apprx 4-5 feet away from my room and that is where all of his friends sit aswell. Every single word that they speak and everything that they do can be heard by me and my friend because the walls have no insulation and just the fact that 6 people are speaking and shouting from such a close proximity to my room. Its become such a problem that I cant make private phone calls with my girlfriend and friends because 6 random people are listening in on it, I have to go outside the house in the cold to make a phone call, thats ridiculous.

The other problem is that when this tenant brings 6 of his friends over, and allows them to use all the facilities in the house including kitchen, washroom, shower, and sofa. Since none of these guys clean up after themselves, the whole place is literally trashed. They wear thier shoes inside the washrooms and common area, and when they cook they leave a huge mess of dishes and the counters look filthy/dirty. This brings me and my friend bad self images and bad reputation from friends and people in our lives, as they think this is our lifestyle. Before this tenant moved in everything was kept clean by us (counters, sink, toilet, table,etc), now it is nearly impossible to keep it clean for a couple days.

The other big problem is that he places his tv on a chair infront of the sofa, and it is literally less than 1 foot away from the walls of the rooms in the basement, so it is extremely loud and disturbing peace. For multiple hours each day the tenant and his 3-6 friends watch tv and play PS3 loudly 1 foot away from my room.

I have spoke to the landlord of the place on November 12 at around 12:30pm with my friend about the whole situation. We told her every detail about how loud it is, and how much problems/anxiety/uncomfort we get. We showed her how dirty the place was aswell. We simply told her we just wanted to live in peace and a clean/safe environment like the way she said when she rented us the rooms. We gave her the solution aswell, it was simply telling the new tenant to go to his own room with his friends and watch tv/chill there and leave the common area free for us to use in peace. She said "Ok guys dont worry I will tell him and fix the problem".

I have spoke to the new tenant in person formally, once on november 7 and once on november 9. I made it very clear and notified the tenant that he is like 4 feet away from my room and that it is very loud and I can hear everything, I told him that I have to study and work and that if he want to have friends over that he should take them into his own room instead of occupying the whole basement with his friends and causing a massive disturbance. I also told him that its a big hastle and I dont feel comfortable cooking/doing daily activities when there are 5 strangers sitting right outside my door and watching me and hearing my private interactions everytime I enter or exit my own room. He fully understood what I told him and still continues doing what he does and causing a bunch of problems and disturbances of peace. This is pure mischief in my opinion.

Evidence - I have recorded about 3 videos showing the disturbance outside my door where he is sitting infront of my room on the sofa facing my room. In one video I walk out of my room and right when I walk out I see 6 people looking at me and watching tv. I have other videos inside my room and my friend's room, showing that you can clearly hear the noise and a disturbance is occuring.

Also I have a daily/random log in which I write down disturbances and problems that I encounter such as anxiety and not being able to do what I used to do everyday (cook, clean, live a normal life). My friend also has this.

Text messages - I have 3 text messages of me texting her and letting her know that my peace is being disturbed and that I do not feel I have privacy and safeness and that it is preventing me from doing daily activities such as cleaning and cooking. In one of the messages she replied on November 18 (when I texted her) and said "I will talk to him dont worry". The other 2 texts I sent her saying the same thing, she simply doesn't answer the question or reply. Nothing has been done about the problem and it is occuring as I am posting this right now.

With the amount of evidence I have and the damage caused to me and my friend, what sort of justice should we expect to see?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada, Ontario, Brampton
Sorry, we only do US law.

Here's some Canadian info for you: http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/

https://www.lawhelpontario.org/contact/remote/

BC, but full of good stuff: http://cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Dial-A-Law/Scripts/Lawyers-Legal-Services-and-Courts/430

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">