• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Master Tenant changed mind about cat policy: month to month tenancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valeraine

What is the name of your state? CA

I live in an apartment with a month-to-month agreement with a Master Tenant. When I moved in, the Master Tenant verbally agreed that I could bring my cat if I needed to, since the cat was living with my brother. In February, my brother gave the cat back to me, and I did bring the cat into the house for a week, but the Master Tenant realized her best friend has an allergy. After an email message from the Master Tenant stating that the cat could come in to the house (in February), followed by enormous pressure from the Master Tenant to have the cat moved elsewhere, my brother came and took her back. This month (October) my brother has since returned the cat to me and is unable to take it back, and I brought it into the apartment. The Master Tenant has been harassing me to remove the cat. She claims I brought it in without telling her even though I told her I was going to Los Angeles to fetch the cat, and then I returned three days later with the cat. She says she has changed her mind about having a cat, and if I want to live there, I need to find another home for the cat. Her best friend has told her that every day the cat remains there there is less likelihood of her ever being able to set foot in the apartment again, and as a consequence, the Master Tenant has been applying enormous pressure on me to put the cat in a "Cat Camp". I believe her daily verbal pressure to me to have the cat removed constitutes harassment, and I have told her to stop.

The Master Tenant is now claiming she never actually agreed to allow the cat when I moved in. The landlord confirmed that she did in fact clear the fact that I had a cat with him. The landlord also stated that he has no problem with my cat being there.

Can she force me out? Or can she simply state that she doesn't want a cat? Can she evict me as being in violation of the lease (I have never been late with a single payment) or somehow change the terms of the rental agreement? I know she can't charge me more than 1/2 the rent because my bedroom is smaller than hers. Could she charge an exorbitant amount of pet rent? How much time will I have to leave if I am forced out? Can she force the cat out before before I leave? Thanks very much.

valeraine

Great, thanks for that info. If she gives me an eviction notice on November 2, does that waive my requirement to give her 30 days' notice? In other words, can I give her 14 days notice and move out on the 15th of November. If I did, am I entitled to a refund of the rent I paid for November 15 - 30?
Thanks again.

treese

If she gives me an eviction notice on November 2, does that waive my requirement to give her 30 days' notice?
Yes.

In other words, can I give her 14 days notice and move out on the 15th of November. If I did, am I entitled to a refund of the rent I paid for November 15 - 30?
You can move out before the actual termination date, but are still liable for the rent through the termination date. No refund for you choosing to leave early.

valeraine

Master Tenant asks me to leave in less than 30 days

The Master Tenant has requested that I be out in less than 30 days. I agreed to this if she will pay for my moving expenses. If we both agree to this and sign a termination agreement, does she automatically waive her right to seek rent for the remainder of the 30 days she would normally be owed, or do I need to stipulate this in writing?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">