• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MD- Lying About Past Due Rent and Failure to Notify Me About Court Date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoopremeBeing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My LL filed for eviction in Rent Court and they lied about the amount due. Not only that, the court didn't mail the summons until 3 weeks after my scheduled appearance. (Paperwork filed 12/29, court date was 1/5, summons postmarked on 1/23, I received it 1/26)

I have proof and a ledger statement from the accounting office about the true amount due.

***I was never evicted and I am still occupying the townhouse with a zero balance.***

Can I ask to be let out of my lease early or have the previous paperwork deleted off my public record so that I can rent somewhere else when my lease is up?

SoopremeBeing

Was a decision actually made?
Not sure at this point. I have no doubt that there is a "Failure to Appear" under my name. I searched the Court Case database on Maryland's website, and I found nothing under my name. I will be filing a Motion for a new court date. I am not sure what the complex is up to or what they are trying to by filing false paperwork, but I want the opportunity to present the evidence and have the complex answer to the judge why the records do not match.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not sure at this point. I have no doubt that there is a "Failure to Appear" under my name. I searched the Court Case database on Maryland's website, and I found nothing under my name. I will be filing a Motion for a new court date. I am not sure what the complex is up to or what they are trying to by filing false paperwork, but I want the opportunity to present the evidence and have the complex answer to the judge why the records do not match.
Call the clerk and find out if has been continued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">