What is the name of your state? Nebraska
On Sept. 8th we moved into a single family home. Our LL showed us the home and NEVER once mentioned it was infested with bugs that resemble centipedes but they aren't, that there was a mouse infestation either or that there was mold growing in the basement. When we did the walk through, we didn't see any of this. When we met at the house to sign the lease, again no mention and we didn't see anything. Now it didn't take long to learn when the lights go out, the bugs come in! I'm disgusted to find them in the finished basement... the kitchen counters, floor, bathrooms and living rooms... scattering when the light comes on... they are everywhere! I'm afraid to take off my sneakers because I might have to stomp one. We purchased Ortho Home Defense and sprayed inside and out... everywhere... while my son stayed at his dad's home. They still are here in force. Friday night/Saturday morning at about 12:30am there was a commotion in the kitchen. Our cat had caught a mouse... blood was everywhere... but the mouse got away. We found it when we moved the stove, but were unable to catch it ourselves. We did find a contraption of sorts and a mouse trap behind the stove. I'm disgusted and sickened at the prospect of having to deal with mouse carcasses as they are snapped in half by barbaric traps. I'm scared to go into my own kitchen now! This is not what I bargained for by moving into a place that costs me more than double the rent than the apt. I lived in previously! I spoke with my LL on Sunday the 25th. He stated he would bring MORE traps by and set them for me when I requested he get a professional exterminator out there who could seal up entrances for the mice and maybe set no kill traps. I stated over and over how I am NOT ok with the mouse removal process he wants to use instead of a pro doing it. Spending the next year removing dead mice, having them in my cabinets, food and house is NOT what I want to do... not to mention the bugs too. My son is allergic to everything and has asthma. I don't want to be using a ton of poisons or have mouse droppings around for him to get into. It's just plain gross and in my 37 years I have never had to live with mice or bugs and don't want to now, especially when I am paying so much for rent. Another thing that really got me was that the old tenants came by to pay us a visit. Luckily they had moved just down the street from us and gave us the "low down" on the house. They told us they had the same problems with mice and the centipede like bugs, but also informed us that the huge "black spot" on the finished basement wall was actually mold (son is allergic to molds and gets asthma attacks from it) that they found behind a bookcase when they were moving out.
So, my question is this: Do I have to endure this with my family? Didn't he have to tell us that mold is in the basement, bugs infest the whole home and that mice make our home their home every fall? It's not even 1 month yet and I want out! I'm disappointed and worried about the mold and my son's health. Help??
Edited because "bold" type isn't "allowed"?.?.?