• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mobile home late fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plsdepst.25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA
I live in a mobile home park. I own and live in this home. I heard if one owns and lives in his coach, the owner of the park cannot charge late fees on the space rent. But if one is renting or not the owner of a coach, then the owner of the park can charge late fees on the space rent. Is this true?
Thanks for your helpWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA
I live in a mobile home park. I own and live in this home. I heard if one owns and lives in his coach, the owner of the park cannot charge late fees on the space rent. But if one is renting or not the owner of a coach, then the owner of the park can charge late fees on the space rent. Is this true?
Thanks for your helpWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm just going to say, I don't know what you mean by "coach"

DO you pay rent on the space your mobile home is on? Do you have a lease for the space?

The owner of whatever can charge you late fees if thats what is indicated on the lease. No lease, no late fees.

JETX

What does your lease say as to late fees??

Late fees are not prohibited by state law but could be limited by local laws.

plsdepst.25

Thanks for your input. I'll search for a lease. I remember one when I moved in about 8 yrs ago. No new ones since then. When I say coach, it's the same name for the mobile home. A coach is a mobile home and a mobile home is a coach.
When you say lease, I picture the owner coming around once a year with paper and pen asking for my signature. That never happens. He raises the cost of the space every year. Wouldn't a new lease have to accompany a new raise?
I will look in my files.....

plsdepst.25

Hi again,
I found a lease dated 2002. That's the only one I've ever received. He does pass out a yearly 'mobile home residency law newspaper' to everyone. I'm just starting to read the lease from 2002 now. Time wise it states the owner (of the park) has offered the resident the option of a month to month rental agreement, or a 12 month agreement or an agrrment of more than a month but less than 12 months.
And since this is from 2002 with no new ones......? I'm still for the late fee part. Would that even matter since this form is from 2002?
I know I have many questions and do appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

A. Late fees on rents, utility charges or other pass-through fees are not regulated
by the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL), but the courts in California cases involving late fees generally have upheld residential leases with preset late penalties if they bear a reasonable relationship to the actual damages that could be anticipated or sustained by the landlord for late payment, such as administrative costs relating to accounting for and collecting the late payments. For example, a 3% charge for late payment of rent ($15 on a $500 rent bill) is probably going to be construed as reasonable. Whether $50 is reasonable depends on the outstanding amount of the rent and utilities owed that are late. To dispute a late fee, a homeowner would have to file an action for damages in Small Claims Court.
Found this plsdepst . I know CA has specific laws regarding mobiles but paying rent on-time is never a bad idea.

plsdepst.25

Thanks chico landlord for your time and thoughts. And you're right...so simple. Just pay your rent on time! But once in awhile circumstances beyond your control happen. You don't like it and do everything to correct it. And when it involves a goverment agency placing your money or funds on hold....especially when it's 100% their fault and it takes them 6-8 weeks to correct it.....all of a sudden that late fee is a lot of money. Once the problem is fixed and your funds are arriving and you can eat something more than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, well, your not so stressed out and life returns to it's normal state......still that late fee bugs you. And sending the goverment a bill for it would be intertaining in itself, but you'd be back on those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in no time! It's one of lifes 'just grin and bare it'.
thanks again

I said in the post that i had found this . I did not steal anything Please read entire post JETX . Plsdepst , I feel for you , don't let it make room in your head . Pay and move on

JETX

I said in the post that i had found this.
When you 'borrow' someone else's text and cut-n-paste it into your post, you need to give credit for it... and not deceive people into thinking you have legal experience or knowledge.... when you clearly don't. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">