• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mobile home owner eviction notice for weekend guests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanpsu77

What is the name of your state? PA

I own a trailer in a mobile home park where I pay lot rent. I just received this letter in my mailbox :

"It has come to my attention that you are renting your home out to people during home football games (weekends). This is a violation of your lease. You are not allowed to sublet your home for any length of time. Please do not rent your home to anyone at anytime.
If I find that you are continuing to rent your home then your lease will be canceled and you will be required to remove your home from the park."

I didn't sign for the letter (can it be sent certified or registered mailed without signing) and is having people in my home for 2 nights legally subletting? It is stated in the lease that we can not sublet and we have to inform the owners of people staying more than two nights. I have in the past accepted small payments for the use of my beds/shower but will the landlord have to prove somehow that I accepted payment (impossible in my estimation). I do this only 5 weekends out of the entire year and is this considered harassment or descrimination by my landlord because they were "informed" by a neighbor that I have strange cars and guests on football weekends? I live by myself and have had up to 7 guests on weekends.

Any information on my legal rights as a mobile home owner/lot renter and how worried I should be of being evicted if it's just their word against mine of whether or not the people were subletting for a weekend would be appreciated.

las365

To me, it sounds like if you stop renting your home to guests for the weekend, you won't have any problem.

Who are these people to whom you are renting the use of your home, and how do they find you? Why do you think it makes a difference whether or not you signed for the letter?

It is not discriminaiton or harassment for a landlord to seek to enforce the terms of a lease.

So you allow paid guests to stay at your residence for a weekend (2 nights) for 5 different weeks (equals 10 nights), and sometimes you have up to "7 guests" (thus 70 people staying at least a night at your place?) No wonder the LL has a problem with this.
It is stated in the lease that we can not sublet and we have to inform the owners of people staying more than two nights.
Having someone (up to 70 people) paying to stay in your unit obviously exceeds your 2 night max in your lease. You had better stop this practice immediately. The LL would not have to prove they paid you, just that you had people staying longer than the max in your lease to show you are in violation of it. Since you admit to doing this at least 10 nights a year, you are in violation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">