• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mobile Home Owner - Rents Lot, Water Meter Broken - Who Has To Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atomic10

I live in Pennsylvania.. This is a quick overview, I own the trailer, rent the land. My water source is leaking from the main pipe and needs to be repaired. The water billing account is set up in my name. Does this make me responsible, or is it the duty of the landlord to fix this issue.

I am a mobile home owner and I rent the lot that my home sits on. I have recently discovered that I had a leak at the main water source, (the shut off valve... not sure of the technical term.) I called the water company who informed me that the leak is not their responsibility because it is the "water meter setter" that needs replaced, and not any of the parts that they themselves 'own'. The water company employee said a plumber would need to be hired to replace the part.

I do not own the land.. and there is nothing in my lease that says I am responsible for repairing damages to underground pipes that connect me to my main water source, nor replacing broken water meters, etc, however the water company themselves, when I asked, said since the account for the water bill is in my name, I'd have to pay for it. I'm not sure if the lady I spoke with knows anything about tenants rights so that is what brings me here. The only mention of services in my lease states that I am responsible for paying "heat, light power, telephone and other services".

Am i responsible for paying for this part to be replaced? I know that if I have a pipe burst underneath my trailer, it is my responsibility to get it taken care of, as I own the home, and the plumbing included with it, but all pipes outside of my home that connect me to a source of water, should be the park owners responsibility, am I correct? Or is that not the case because the water bill comes in my name? I didn't have to buy a water meter to move into this place, and I do not see why I should be responsible for repairing it when it is broken.. but if I have to, I suppose I have no choice.. But before contacting my landlord with this issue, I would like to know that I have the right to request he has this problem fixed or help cover the costs.

I'm a soft spoken women, and when I go to contact him, I want to know if I have rights I can stand by, without letting him convince me that it is 'not his problem' so that I cower and suffer paying for it on my own just so that I can have water in my mobile home again. :( Any advice, legal references, would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

As a general rule, from the meter to the street is the water company's responsibility. From the meter to the house/apartment/trailer is the owner of the land (i.e., the park's) responsibility. Any pipes directly connected to your trailer are yours.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The water company didn't necessarily mean it was YOUR responsibility. Rather, they were saying it's not THEIR responsibility.

atomic10

Bad News

Well the landlord told me it isn't his problem. He said "I have nothing to do with the meters. The water company came and replaced them when Western Pennsylvania Water took over.. " So he's refusing to take any responsibility... but I don't see why that makes it MY problem. He claims he will contact the water company, but they are going to tell him the same thing they told me. Sure one water company may have taken over another water company.. and maybe he didn't pay to have the new meters installed when they took over.. but he should be responsible for upkeep so that his tenants have access to water. Am I right?

FarmerJ

I looked and it appears this Western Pennsylvania Water is not a city / county owned water system but a for profit firm so I would suggest unless this leak is your pipe that connects to the shut off that would be on your side of the meter to contact your city county inspections desk and ask for information re the systems that manufactured housing community owners are to maintain and if they end up ordering the LL to make the repair I doubt this LL is willing to risk them condemning the lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">