• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mom and boyfriend broke up, can he make her leave without an eviction notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greengoddess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia

My mother and her boyfriend had a fight and broke up because he cheated. the house they live in is in his name but she pays the bills. Does he have the right to kick her out without 30 day notice? She is under the impression that he can and i wanted to check. Also, nearly everything in the house belongs to her( everything from the towels in the bathroom, the washer dryer, almost all the furniture and all kitchen appliances), can he stop her from taking her things just because the house is in his name? a quick answer would be amazing. were trying to sort this issue out tonight.

Number21

Quick answer: no.
There is almost no situation where somebody can be thrown out of their house without prior notice, unless they committed some sort of crime. I don't know the specifics of your state laws though.

If her belongings are in the house, she has a right to remove them. And if she's paying for anything, it's time to stop.

divona2000

Quick answer: no.
There is almost no situation where somebody can be thrown out of their house without prior notice, unless they committed some sort of crime. I don't know the specifics of your state laws though.

If her belongings are in the house, she has a right to remove them. And if she's paying for anything, it's time to stop.
Agree with the first part, but mom should not just stop paying the bills. (especially if boyfriend keeps using them after she moves out).
Whatever is in her name, like cable & internet, gets cancelled, and any utilities should be taken out of her name.
Get a PO Box, have her final bills sent there, then pay the final bills to keep good credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">