• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money hungry landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcboo

I am in Illinois, and I need a simple question answered. My landlord had a girl collecting the rent for her. The girl decided to steal alot of the money, and one of the things she took was my rent check. When the landlady discovered what was going on, she contacted the police and pressed charges against the girl. The girls husband took my rent check to the police station, and it is now being used for evidence. The check was never cashed. But since it is being used as evidence, the landlady must be trying to collect that amount also, along with the rest the girl took. Now the landlady is about to worry my husband and I to death to write her another check for that months rent, ( July 2000). What I want to know is , are we liable for that rent, since the girl stole the check (even though it wasn't cashed). The landlady is not asking the other people to pay her for the rent the girl took, so why should we be liable for ours. Our rent was paid, by check, it was not our fault she did not get it , it was the fault of her employee. So , are we suppose to pay her again, since we can't get the old check back because it is at the police station as evidence. Or should she consider herself paid, and try to get it from the girl who took the check in the first place? Thank You!

Last edited:

M

Maryannexyz

Question: If no-one cashed the check, then wouldn't you still owe the rent???
Answer: yes you do!!!

Ever hear of STOP PAYMENT on a check?
Go to your bank and request a stop payment on the check being held as evidence (they will do this for a small fee - $20-$30).
Re-write a new check for the rent. To the landlord, request in writing that you get re-imbursed for the stop-payment or you will deduct it from a future rent payment. You should not have to pay the stop payment fee since this "girl" was an employee of the landlord. It is not your problem that the landlord has a criminal employee. But, yes you still have to pay your rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">