• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

month to month lease eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bingoishisnamo

I am a Landlord In Kelowna B.C. Canada. I have signed a month to month lease with my tenants. My personal life has changed for the worse and I need to move back into my house that is being rented on a month to month lease basis.

I gave the tenants notice and they say that because of the law, and their resulting hardship, they will require 2 months notice. They would be nice though and move out in the 30 days notice but without payig for the last months rent.

How is it possible with a one month lease that I can not give just 30 days notice as the monthly lease would have expired anyways. Why does it matter If I (The Landlord) are the ones moving in or if it was a stranger moving in? Why do I as a landlord get punished even though both parties signed a month to onth lease in case any situation such as this, by either side, should quickly arise? Isnt that the point of a month to month lease? Why sign or even have an option for a month to month lease if this is the case?

Thanks so much for your time.

sandyclaus

I am a Landlord In Kelowna B.C. Canada. I have signed a month to month lease with my tenants. My personal life has changed for the worse and I need to move back into my house that is being rented on a month to month lease basis.

I gave the tenants notice and they say that because of the law, and their resulting hardship, they will require 2 months notice. They would be nice though and move out in the 30 days notice but without payig for the last months rent.

How is it possible with a one month lease that I can not give just 30 days notice as the monthly lease would have expired anyways. Why does it matter If I (The Landlord) are the ones moving in or if it was a stranger moving in? Why do I as a landlord get punished even though both parties signed a month to onth lease in case any situation such as this, by either side, should quickly arise? Isnt that the point of a month to month lease? Why sign or even have an option for a month to month lease if this is the case?

Thanks so much for your time.
According to this site: https://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/content/rightsResponsibilities/ending.aspx, a residential LL can only terminate a tenancy for cause. In this situation, the LL needs to re-occupy the unit, so TWO MONTHS notice is required. The referenced site has more information on how that's handled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">