• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Month-month lease with job transfer clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hmakhija

WISCONSIN.

I have a apartment lease in Madison, WI till March 2007 but I have a month-to-month lease clause in the lease aggrement according to which I can get out of the lease by giving one month notice if my current employment aggreement is terminated. Following are the exact words in the lease:
"Lease obligations MAY ONLY expire upon termination of tenant's employment contract. Upon termination of the tenant's employment contract, the tenant may provide to the landlord a thirty day written notice with a letter from the employer stating that the employment contract has been terminated."

I want to know whether I can get out of this lease if I voluntary resign from my current job or it has to be termination from my employer only. My landlord says that I cannot get out of the lease if I voluntary resign and I will have to pay rent till March 2007. I need help and want to know the legal meaning of this lease statement.What is the name of your state?

Hot Topic

You're asking a question that you should have asked before you signed the lease.

Note the prominent use of the word "may" in the lease. I don't think it's an accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">