+ Reply to Thread
    elo_pvd_02 is offline Junior Member

Month-Month tenant, no lease, refuses to accept 60 day termination notice

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

I have just purchased a multi-family which I'm in the process of renovating and moving into. I inherited a tenant - family of mother, father, kids and a dog. They had no lease with the previous owners and have no lease with me. They're are on a month-month periodic tenancy.

I've given them a 60-day written notice of termination of tenancy - RI law (Section 34-18-37) stipulates only 30 is needed. Still they've refused to acknowledge this notice, claiming I have no right to remove them.

What can I do and what further action do I need to take to ensure that they move out?

Thank you.
    Some Random Guy is offline Senior Member
    Still they've refused to acknowledge this notice, claiming I have no right to remove them.

do they give you any indication as to why they claim you have no right to remove them? They have no lease.

Was the notice to them in writing and did they reply in writing?

If you want them out in 60 days, I would suggest sending a second notice giving them ony the minimum 30 days. Send it certified return receipt requested and if the refuse to accept the mail, post it on their door (take a picture of it on the door). Once they do not leave after 30 days, follow the RI steps to legally evict them.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elo_pvd_02
    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

I have just purchased a multi-family which I'm in the process of renovating and moving into. I inherited a tenant - family of mother, father, kids and a dog. They had no lease with the previous owners and have no lease with me. They're are on a month-month periodic tenancy.

I've given them a 60-day written notice of termination of tenancy - RI law (Section 34-18-37) stipulates only 30 is needed. Still they've refused to acknowledge this notice, claiming I have no right to remove them.

What can I do and what further action do I need to take to ensure that they move out?

Thank you.

**A: you can evict when the time comes of another option is to pay them to move.
    longneck is offline Member
    first, make sure you served the notice properly. provided you have done that, it doesn't matter if your tenants have "acknowledged" the notice or not.

if your tenants do not leave by the end of your notice, then you go to court and file for unlawful detainer. provided you server proper notice, the judge will issue an eviction.

that's how it works.