• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother-in-Law wants to kick me out!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdeberry

I reside in VA-specifically Loudoun County. I live in a family home with my husband,our 2 minor children, my mother-in-law, and other family members. My mother-in-law owns the home-she is the only one listed on the mortgage. For the three years that we have been residing in the home-my husband has solely paid our portion of the mortgage-$3000. My mother-in law is very upset that I am not contributing and wants me to leave the home. My husband is a "momma's boy" and is siding with his mother on this issue-he wants me to contribute more. Can she make me leave the residence? Am I protected in anyway-we are still married and our portion of the mortgage is being paid?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Cvillecpm

First - you are not a tenant. You are a guest at will of your MIL....

Second - simple answer is to contribute more - do housewood, mow the yard, etc....otherwise, ask who will look after children if you go to work 9 to 5? MiL? Husband?

You need to go see a divorce attorney for a FREE consultation. You need to know you rights for yourself AND your children if they kick you out.

FarmerJ

You have a larger problem , even if your married to him your MIL is your LL unless you have a written contract that is recorded and sold YOU and your husband a interest in that home. I suggest you and the children MOVE out. Then go talk to a divorce atty. Your husband needs to make a choice , his wife or Mommy ! If you have to leave behind alot of things SO BE IT. They can be recovered when your husband finds his spine and moves out OR during the divorce process. BTW Staying in that kind of environment is going to teach your kids that it is okay tolerate a control freak and not stand up to bad behavior. Living at a shelter or another relatives or friends home with the kids would be far better to me that putting up with a control freak. If you think im kidding then call a womens shelter and ask them what the odds are that your husband might become so frustrated that you end up a target of domestic violence.

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

I think your mother may object to being your maid for hire. Get off your butt and help out. They were not put on this earth to serve you. Your husband is right in backing his mother and see's your lack of worth.

You will soon find out that keeping a home tidy does not happen on its own.

Who's Liable?

First of all, you ARE a tenant! IF you have been residing in the house for the three years as you claim, than the state has already made a month-to-month lease between you and your MIL, who is your landlord...

Your MIL CANNOT remove you WITHOUT giving you PROPER notice as stated in your states LL/T laws...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">