• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moved into an uninhabitable house now the owner is scamming me help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ravenp

i am in tennessee. i had started moving into a house that turned out to be uninhabitable and the owners rep signed a paper saying we would get a full refund of the first and last months rent we had given them because of the fact. the lease had not started yet and was voided before the start date. now the owner has changed his mind and is not willing to give us a refund. we were homeless for four days. we suffered punitive damages and horrible moving fees. i am not sure what to do. i had to take out multiple loans to insure my 9 year old child had a place to live. the house didnt even have anyone to provide water to it. well water or city water. on top of all of this the house was an hour and a half away from the city i was moving from. please help me. i was told to file a civil suit but no one seems to know the address of the actual owners house and the representative was just representing the house for 10% not under any legal contracts. what do i do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

so sue the agent as a representative of the owner.

If you don't want to do that, go to the tax office and get the owners name and address from the tax records.

Mass_Shyster

You can find the owner of the property through tax records. They mail the tax bill somewhere. You can also locate the owner through a search of the registry of deeds.

The agent is the person who took your money, agreed to refund it, and is refusing to refund it. Agency laws will also hold the owner liable for your loss, but the agent is 100% liable.

applecruncher

You can find the owner of the property through tax records. They mail the tax bill somewhere. You can also locate the owner through a search of the registry of deeds.
Go to your county auditor's website, enter address, and it will show the name and addressof the property owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">