• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgrasp

Alabama-

2 months ago I lost my additional financial support raising my daughter. I applied for public housing since I am unable to maintain my current rent and the landlord (who wants cash only and so far I can only unfortunately find 4 receipts from) claims I owe her 1000.00, therefore I was denied for public housing. This home is infested with roaches and in general not a safe home. She has not provided me with smoke alarms or lockable doors and I am unable to pay for either. On top of which, I received an unsolicited letter from her son in prison (currently serving time in drug charges but also a registered sex offender) stating that he used to live here and his mom had told him about my boyfriend and I breaking up, and 'all he knows is I'm a single mother' and proceeded to write that he wanted to be pen pals, followed by vulgar, sexually explicit writing. Now, thanks to his mother (landlord), he knows vulnerable information. I'm trying so hard to make things happen for my daughter and myself but currently feel my hands are hopelessly tied in this horrible situation. Are there any actions I can take?

DeenaCA

Yes, you can file an appeal of the denial of your application for public housing. Instructions for doing this are in the denial notice. Explain the issues with your current landlord the same way you have explained here. If you met the housing authority's other screening criteria, they may be able to reconsider. They're required to consider "mitigating circumstances" when screening for admission. Also, the housing authority is supposed to contact your last TWO landlords for information on your rental history. Would you get a decent review from your last landlord prior to this one?

You can review HUD's Public Housing Occupancy Guidebook at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/programs/ph/rhiip/phguidebook. Also see the HUD regulation at 24 Code of Federal Regulations 960.203(d):
In the event of the receipt of unfavorable information with respect to an applicant, consideration shall be given to the time, nature, and extent of the applicant's conduct (including the seriousness of the offense).
In a manner consistent with the PHA's policies, procedures and practices referenced in paragraph (b) of this section, consideration may be given to factors which might indicate a reasonable probability of favorable future conduct.
See http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=8fa4de8284ecef0cee95b8ba530a4f2b&mc=true&node=pt24.4.960&rgn=div5#se24.4.960_1203.

In other words, make a case that you would be able to pay rent (based on roughly 30% of income) if admitted to the program. The public housing program serves low-income families, most of whom do not have perfect credit or perfect rent-paying histories. Unless there is a record of criminal activity, housing agencies are required to consider the applicant's circumstances in making the decision to deny admission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">