• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple units on one water meter - Landlord billed me for water use separately.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theearth91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi,
I moved into a duplex and when I signed the lease, the lease stated we were responsible for our own water. Come to find out after signing the lease, both units are under the same water meter. The landlord has billed me for the water but there are 6 people living in the back duplex and there are 3 of us in the unit I live in. IS this legal? Is the lease no longer valid? How can the landlord pro-rate me for water if there are under one meter? Thanks for any assistance in advance.

FarmerJ

Many states do allow for apportioned re billing of utilities but what you want to learn is in your state if your Landlord is required to provide you with a copy of the bill that she /he gets for that meter. Try your states landlord tenant web pages and if you cant find the answer there then try your states Attorney generals consumer services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">