• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mutual landlord/tenant agreement to terminate lease- Washington state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Britxnee

Washington state--
I'm a tenant who signed a 1 year lease 11/1/16. 3 weeks into the lease, the landlord and I agreed to mutually break the lease (many problems with property/noise issues/etc) We decided it best to go our separate ways. I told the landlord I would be moving out the 1st week of December when I secured a new place. My question is, am I financially obligated to pay the entire months rent of December if we mutually agreed to break the lease over 20 days prior, or just responsible for the prorated rent? Thanks

justalayman

It sounds like your agreement is not complete. It isn't a matter of what you should owe but since you have a negotiated termination of the lease, what are the terms of the agreement. If you can't agree on this point, well, you get to live out the term of your lease.

adjusterjack

My question is, am I financially obligated to pay the entire months rent of December if we mutually agreed to break the lease over 20 days prior, or just responsible for the prorated rent? Thanks
Agree with justalayman, you obviously DON'T have a mutual agreement if you are not clear on the terms and don't have anything in writing.

You need to hash this out with your landlord and get the agreement in writing or, after you leave, he might get amnesia and sue you for unpaid rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">