• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 19 year old daughter refuses to pay rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angel80909

Colorado

I moved in this apartment over a year ago, and my daughter already 18 years old moved in with me. Her name is on the lease (as an occupant), even though she did not sign the lease. She refuses to pitch in to pay the rent or other bills, with the excuse I would make much more money than she does. She has two jobs. I think it is time for her to grow up and help out with paying the rent.
What can I do? Is there not some kind of joint liability since she is over 18 years old? What can I do if she still refuses?
Any suggestions or advice?

longneck

since she is listed as an occupant, she has no financial responsibility for your lease agreement. if she refuses to pay rent, you can have the LL remove her as an occupant. you can then have her forcefully removed for trespassing, or if the police refuse to do that, you can have her evicted through an unlawful detainer suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">