• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My landlord entered my apartment with no notice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KelseyS

I live in Alaska and I am wondering what legal steps I can take. My landlord entered my home with no notice and no permission. He first said he did it to feed my cat. I told him that my cat had food when I left my apartment and was fine. I am sure he has gone in to my apartment before because of things he has said about my bedroom and things he left behind, but I can only prove this time. I told him in no uncertain terms that it is illegal for him to enter my home and that I was very upset. I told him he was not welcome there. I am shaken by this and want to know what I can do legally. I am a single female and I live alone.

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

I live in Alaska and I am wondering what legal steps I can take. My landlord entered my home with no notice and no permission. He first said he did it to feed my cat. I told him that my cat had food when I left my apartment and was fine. Then he said he though he heard my cat strangling. I told him if my cat was strangling there wouldn't be any sound he could hear from his apartment. He then tried to change the subject by offering me presents for my cat. I am sure he has gone in to my apartment before because of things he has said about my bedroom and things he left behind, but I can only prove this time. I told him in no uncertain terms that it is illegal for him to enter my home and that I was very upset. I told him he was not welcome there. I am shaken by this and want to know what I can do legally. I am a single female and I live alone.
You are correct... Most states deem a MINIMUM of 24 hours notice to entry, unless there is a VALID EMERGENCY.

Send the LL a letter, sent CRR, stating it is ILLEGAL for him to enter your apartment WITHOUT a VALID reason. Any entry without PROPERLY notifying you per your states LL/T laws will result in you filing a police report for a break-in. Also inform him continued illegal access made by him will result in a court action for "abuse of entry" and can carry a monetary penalty. If you want, you can set up a camera to catch him...

If you come home and catch him in the house, call the police immediately and inform them of the break-in, and the suspect is still in the home. Give them the numbers off his plates too. He can explain to the police why he is in the rental unit. These days, there are MANY people who drive the same vehicle...

Cvillecpm

Let's have AK LL field this one; however, few states require the resident's PERMISSION for the landlord to enter and if I heard a cat meowing for food, I'd go feed it also.

Make sure your renter's insurance is paid.

HomeGuru

Let's have AK LL field this one; however, few states require the resident's PERMISSION for the landlord to enter and if I heard a cat meowing for food, I'd go feed it also.

Make sure your renter's insurance is paid.
**A: yes, the hungry cat emergency.

Alaska landlord

I live in Alaska and I am wondering what legal steps I can take. My landlord entered my home with no notice and no permission. He first said he did it to feed my cat. I told him that my cat had food when I left my apartment and was fine. I am sure he has gone in to my apartment before because of things he has said about my bedroom and things he left behind, but I can only prove this time. I told him in no uncertain terms that it is illegal for him to enter my home and that I was very upset. I told him he was not welcome there. I am shaken by this and want to know what I can do legally. I am a single female and I live alone.
A MINORITY of states require a 24 hr notice to enter. Unfortunately, AK is one of them. Your LL has the right to enter if he deems it to be an emergency. I don't think this exactly qualifies unless the cat was really loud and seemed in distress. Write the landlord a letter forbidding entry unless proper notice is given and then stop being a drama queen and get over it. If he does it again, then file a police report and use it as leverage to try and end your lease. I think you will need more than one confirmed incident to be successful. This one ain't it.

applecruncher

KelseyS - Good advice from Who's Liable. Do it.

I don't think you're a drama queen at all. This is very creepy. While some people might shrug off such an invasion of privacy, it's not something to take lightly. Many landlords love to sneak in and nose around, and do other things which I won't even mention. If you can possibly afford it, have a video camera set up and prosecute him.

As far as the cat, you didn't ask him to feed your cat, the cat was not in distress, so that is pure bs.

Meanwhile, I'd start looking for someplace else to live.

Alaska landlord

I am sure he has gone in to my apartment before because of things he has said about my bedroom and things he left behind, but I can only prove this time. I told him in no uncertain terms that it is illegal for him to enter my home and that I was very upset. I told him he was not welcome there. I am shaken by this and want to know what I can do legally. I am a single female and I live alone.
First off, very few landlords go about entering peoples homes to do unmentionable things. Most of us have better things to do and basically could care less about your stuff. The fact that he has mentioned leaving stuff behind would seem to point that he was conducting repairs. My question would be, Did you complain about a certain repair? If so, no notice would have been necessary as you requested and by doing so gave notice to enter. If no complaint was filed, and he is conducting non emergency repairs, then a 24 hr notice is required. That you can hold him to. Alaska law does not mandate that you be present, though most LLs prefer that you be. ( for our protection.) It is not uncommon for tenants to claim that stuff is missing, when they actually just misplaced it.

KelseyS

Thanks for all the great advice. For those of you who worried that my cat was hungry, I did mention that he was fed that morning. My landlord could have called me to inquire. He has never hesitated to call me for any reason in the past. Also, I have to protest the drama queen bit (though I can understand the viewpoint). I am not looking to break my lease, I am not looking to sue anyone, and I don't need anyone arrested. I want to create a paper trail in case something does come of this, or know where I could report it. I did read the Alaska Landlord Tenant Act but it didn't tell me what steps to take if someone does break the law. It does say that "emergency" means instances such as smoke, water, and explosion. Not a "hungry cat". I am angry and embarrassed that an adult male felt it was fine to enter my home and root around in my drawers and cupboards. I have things that are very private in my home because it is MY home.

KelseyS

First off, very few landlords go about entering peoples homes to do unmentionable things. Most of us have better things to do and basically could care less about your stuff. The fact that he has mentioned leaving stuff behind would seem to point that he was conducting repairs. My question would be, Did you complain about a certain repair? If so, no notice would have been necessary as you requested and by doing so gave notice to enter. If no complaint was filed, and he is conducting non emergency repairs, then a 24 hr notice is required. That you can hold him to. Alaska law does not mandate that you be present, though most LLs prefer that you be. ( for our protection.) It is not uncommon for tenants to claim that stuff is missing, when they actually just misplaced it.

I understand that most people have better things to do during the day than go through my dirty panties. I have not asked for any repairs and there were no emergency repairs. The apartment was absolutely pristine and in fantastic working order when I moved in (better than I've ever seen). Also nothing has ever gone missing, infact I said that there was extra stuff. Nothing that would indicate a repair (unless he was fixing my guns). I know what the laws are, I just didn't know my best course of action at that point. I have gotten some great advice. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">