• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My landlord had no C.O. on the apartment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nyjet88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My girlfriend and I moved out of our apartment after a 2 year lease. Our landlord was basically a slumlord. Our lease stated that we were responsible for all repaird to MAJOR appliances, dishwasher, washer - dryer, refrigerator, central AC.

Before we moved in she told us she replaced the hot water heater. When we met her at the apartment she handed us a jar of paint and said there was water damage from when the old hot water heater broke. There was water damage ALL over the wall. Who knows where else it could have landed. She told us to paint over it.

She did not paint at all before we were supposed to move in.

She started blaming us of things that were broke such as a cracked tile (which we did not do) and she also blamed us for a screen that had a patch on it. Again, we didn't do that. She said she replaced it 4 years ago but we have only lived there 2 years.

Anyway, our lease was up for August 1st. She asked me when we were moving and I said the weekend of July 26th. We moved out on that Sunday around 12:30pm. She had new tennants moving in on July 28th. Does she owe us 4 days of rent back since she had new tenants move in before our lease was up?

We haven't gotten the security deposit back yet...I am sure she is going to try and pull one over on us. Also, the central AC never worked well and I called her and told her and she just told me to "put a fan on". My first electric bill in the apartment was over $500 from it running non-stop.

So today I decided to call the township. She has NO C.O. on the apartment. They told they would send someone out to inspect the apartment Monday or Tuesday and I could pick up a copy of the paperwork a week from today.

The last couple of months my girlfriend and I felt very nauseous there. We are afraid there was mold from all the water damage.

Unfortunately we did not take pictures before we moved in.

What is my next step? What about this whole C.O. thing?

Any help is REALLY appreciated.

Thank you!

John

BL

You lived there all this time .

Did not take photos and notes on move in .

You complained by phone , not in writing . ( no paper trail of documentations )

You didn't call the housing officials until after you moved out .

Perhaps you'll get lucky and have the SD returned to you .

As tenants you need to be proactive with tenant /Landlord Laws , and assert your right while living there in the proper way , as per Laws .

Good Luck ..

ecmst12

You can't get 4 days of rent back unless she charged the new tenants for those 4 days, which she probably did not since you had already paid for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">