• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My landlord has no landlords license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viacondiablos

My landlord does not have a landlords license. Is it legal for him to collect/collected rent from us? We have been in the home since 2006 and he has had only one inspection in these past 4 years.The sticky part is the landlord is also my boyfriends boss and we never had a paper rental agreement. The landlord did tell us 2 months ago that "IF he lets the house go to bankruptcy/foreclosure that we won't have to pay rent,just the utilities." We have been looking at houses for the past two months. Sunday the 7th he called demanding his 2 months "back rent".We just found out yesterday the (9th) by a post on the door the house is going to public auction on 3/16/2010. Do we still owe him rent,could he even legally have collected rent without a license?
I know we have been left in the dark and mislead as to the status of our house for quite awhile now.Is there legal recourse for him not giving us much needed information? What legal rights do we possibly have?What is the name of your state (Michigan)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

My landlord does not have a landlords license. Is it legal for him to collect/collected rent from us?
Yes. According to Gail, who would know, you don't need a license in MI

We have been in the home since 2006 and he has had only one inspection in these past 4 years

Well then the property was inspected.

The sticky part is the landlord is also my boyfriends boss and we never had a paper rental agreement.
Thats fine, your month to month

The landlord did tell us 2 months ago that "IF he lets the house go to bankruptcy/foreclosure that we won't have to pay rent,just the utilities."
You should have gotten that in writing.

We have been looking at houses for the past two months. Sunday the 7th he called demanding his 2 months "back rent".
Did you not pay him the last 2 months?

We just found out yesterday the (9th) by a post on the door the house is going to public auction on 3/16/2010.
That does not explain why you haven't paid him the last 2 months.

Do we still owe him rent,could he even legally have collected rent without a license?

OOOhhh yes you do.

I know we have been left in the dark and mislead as to the status of our house for quite awhile now

So what. Its not even "your house" your renting month to month.

Is there legal recourse for him not giving us much needed information?
I don't see that he even needed to give you any information. none of your business. If the bank takes it over, you pay rent to the bank.

What legal rights do we possibly have?
You can give 30 days proper MI notice and move to wherever your lil heart desires.

What is the name of your state (Michigan)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

It doesnt hurt to check local city /county ords though in case a city or county has required rental licenses. ( some times localities only require owner contact information be posted in a visible to the public place)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">