• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Landlord is Suing Me for Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtjudas

What is the name of your state? Florida

Long story short...I moved out of rental house May 31, 2006. As of July 15, 2006, I still had not received a CRR copy of damages or my security deposit depsite calling several times between July 5, 2006 & July 15, 2006. Consulted w/ attorney who stated that since I had not received CRR of damages and security deposit within 30 days, the landlord had forfeited their entire claim to the security deposit and would be responsible for returning the full money to me. Three days later, landlord sends check for less than half of my security deposit w/o receipts for charges. I tell lawyer who says I am still entitled to full security deposit. I Inform my landlord who gets a lawyer and makes false allegations against me, but says will comply w/ returning full security deposit. Except now she says she will sue me for damages to the property if she does not receive money from me in 30 days.

The house was not left in destruction. It needed to be cleaned and trash removed and a few small things fixed. But it is my understanding that she still forfeited this right to me paying for this when she didn't comply within 30 days? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

moburkes

Well, my first question is, when did your LEASE end? You only told us when you moved, but not when your lease was over.

acmb05

jtjudas said:
lease ended may 31st, 2006 as well. sorry about that.
She owes you the rest of your deposit and forfeits all claims of damages. She knows this which is why she was going to send you the money. Now she is just stalling.

jtjudas

she has agreed to send me the rest of my security deposit. but she also has stated that she is going to file a suit against me for damages to the property. id like to know if i should be returning her "money for damages" or if she has no case in court.

ecmst12

She has no case. Let her sue, just make sure you answer the suit and appear in court if she does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">