• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is my lease valid if my name is incorrect on the lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonmikl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My partner and I signed our original lease for an apartment in Fulton County GA sometime in 2008. at the signing of the lease an account was also setup on my behalf (with the correct name) with a company that provides billing for water/sewage and trash pickup. At the end of the lease, we decided to renew our lease with the same apartment community, however, we would move into a larger apartment.

The day that we met with the management to sign the new lease, I noticed that my name was printed through out the entire lease, including any addendums, as Jim Elliott instead of the correct name which is John Elliott. I brought this to their [managements'] attention prior to any signing and was assured that the name would be corrected at a later time. So, throughout the entire lease, including addendums, I signed my legal correct name of John Elliott.

About three weeks later I received the first water/sewage/trash billing, noticing that the name on my account had been changed from JOHN ELLIOTT to JIM ELLIOTT, I immediately called to get this corrected. During the call, I am told that the company providing the billing is the same company as the leasing folks, just operating under a different name. Therefore all I needed to do was to contact the leasing office and make them aware and it would be changed.

After repeated written requests to management requesting the name be corrected, both on the lease and the utility bill, here we are 9 months later, still no correction...

My question here is this:

because of the name issue, does this invalidate my lease?

ANY insight would be of GREAT help.

Banned_Princess

Do you want to leave the apartment?

No it doesnt void the lease. and you cant use that to breakyour lease.

But you can move somewhere else come the end of your current lease.

FarmerJ

Stop calling management about name errors with utility re billing send to them a certified letter pointing out the error and asking them to correct it, keep a copy for your records. Doing it that way creates a paper trail showing you have asked them to correct the problem incase there is a bigger screw up centered around it when you do finally move out.

jonmikl

Thank you for your quick replies! You guys ARE the best! :):):)

I am not interested in breaking the lease, in fact, I am planning to renew my lease for another year; it was simply a general question.

Each request that I have sent requesting the name change has been sent via USPS registered mail - my 'momma' didn't raise no fool, LOL - ALWAYS be mindful to leave a paper trail she would say.....

Unfortunately, the name issue began causing 'bigger issues' already....seems that since documents mailed from the leasing company to the new address coupled with receiving that first utility bill prior to USPS actually completing the change of address procedure, the postman labeled the new mailbox as JIM ELLIOTT, therefore a relatively large amount of the mail addressed to JOHN ELLIOTT never made it to my mailbox. (I learned of this only through way of a trip to the post office to pick up one package, the postal worker returns from the rear with over 30 pieces of mail that had been returned and held) this was two months after the lease signing.

Also I have had two separate instances when applying for credit that I was turned down because my addresses did not match (I know this to be the reason for denial because upon supplying the CRA proof of current address, those creditors creditors approved my loans).

So it's been a headache. My apologies for dragging on.....I appreciate your help with my question.

MAKE it a great day!

jonmikl

Thank you for your quick replies! You guys ARE the best! :):):)

I am not interested in breaking the lease, in fact, I am planning to renew my lease for another year; it was simply a general question.

Each request that I have sent requesting the name change has been sent via USPS registered mail - my 'momma' didn't raise no fool, LOL - ALWAYS be mindful to leave a paper trail she would say.....

Unfortunately, the name issue began causing 'bigger issues' already....seems that since documents mailed from the leasing company to the new address coupled with receiving that first utility bill prior to USPS actually completing the change of address procedure, the postman labeled the new mailbox as JIM ELLIOTT, therefore a relatively large amount of the mail addressed to JOHN ELLIOTT never made it to my mailbox. (I learned of this only through way of a trip to the post office to pick up one package, the postal worker returns from the rear with over 30 pieces of mail that had been returned and held) this was two months after the lease signing.

Also I have had two separate instances when applying for credit that I was turned down because my addresses did not match (I know this to be the reason for denial because upon supplying the CRA proof of current address, those creditors creditors approved my loans).

So it's been a headache. My apologies for dragging on.....I appreciate your help with my question.

MAKE it a great day!

jonmikl

thanks for your responses, I appreciate it :)

I have no interest in breaking the lease at all; the question posed was simply that, a question. However, thanks for providing me with an alternative I didn't think of regarding options for actions to take once my lease obligation is fulfilled.
---------------------
Each request I have sent has been via registered mail - momma didn't raise no fool - LOL - as an attorney, she always stressed the importance of a paper trail :).....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">