• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbors are LOUD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobisbetter21

What is the name of your state? OHIO
I just graduated from OSU and started my career job earlier this week. I lived in this same apartment complex last year and had no problems whatsoever with my neighbors, but this past September it seems as though my luck did a 180. There are two girls that live in the apartment directly below mine and three guys that live in an apartment right next to them. It doesn't matter what night of the week it is there is always noise coming from one of those two places. When they watch TV at night I feel like i'm in a movie theater, but without the screen in front of me. They are very inconsiderate when I ask them to turn it down.. "Yeah sure, sorry about that it's only our TV..?!?!" so they turn it up louder to make them feel better about themselves for failing out of school. The guys that live next to them are even worse. The one dude has super speakers in his computer room that his daddy bought him and loves to show off to the world that his stereo system shakes the second floor. When I ask them to turn it down they refuse to answer the door until I knock so hard I mise well bust it open. Unfortunately one of their friends is a girl who works at our real estate company and is the one that they use as a 'get out of jail free card'. My roomate has early classes this quarter and I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning everyday for work. I don't care about loud noise on the weekends (Friday and Saturday night), but during the week is unacceptable. Why should I be paying rent at a place where I can't even sleep at night? Is there anything that I can do about the situation? I left a message on our landlord's phone and wrote two emails complaining about my problem and I have not received a response. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

bobisbetter21

I have only called the police a couple of times because it isn't always really late at night when they are loud it is during the early evening hours when my roomate is doing homework and I am trying to relax before I go to bed. Around a college campus the police are not very quick to respond to noise complaints from what I have experienced.

fairlight

Does it say anything about noise in your lease? If it does, the landlord is obligated to act on your complaints if the noise is violating building rules or the city noise ordinance if your city has one (ask the local police department). In my city, the "quiet hours" are between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.

Try to tape the noise between the quiet hours. Find out if anyone else has complained. You may have to provide a united front to the landlord, but remember that some people will agree that action needs to be taken, but when push comes to shove, won't back you up. They'd prefer to continue to live there and gripe about the situation to anyone who'll listen.

When you contact the landlord, do so by certified mail so you have proof that the landlord received your letter.

And be aware that some landlords try to make suffering tenants look like the "bad guys" in situations like this.

PghREA

If you are living in college housing, you can expect college type activities. It is not going to change just because you graduated. The landlord of the college housing project as well as the local police probably have a deaf ear to complaints. My advice is to find another place to live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">